NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know. I now have a c2 kit and its gonna be installed soon. But im scared to death for my tranny. My quesiton is, should i do a tranny swap from auto to 5 speed or should i send my tranny to level 10 for some bulletproofing.

Thanx alot

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've actually got level ten on the phone before and they sounded very legit... And I've only heard good things about their products, plus they're right in NJ so for us tri-staters it's a fairly easy drive to get there. I would also go with level ten because a tranny swap is ten times more expensive and more difficult. Either way you go, I cant wait to see the results.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
talk to Emotart he got a lot of his stuff done by them. I thought you had the ATR kit 140, when did you switch out for a c2?

I would do a tranny swap. Run it on the auto for a while, use that time to source a 5 or 6spd, a nice clutch flywheel package, and a limited slip. Then when the time is right, swap em.

·
Registered
430 Posts
140 GT said:
Ill show you results on the highway too if you want. :naughty:
You would eat my stock motor alive, lol... I wanted to go forced induction so badly but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money. By the way where are you doing your install and tuning? The only legit shop around here (that I know of) is CIP motorsports but they only really specialize in Nissans and they dont have a dyno.

·
Banned
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vegeta4ss said:
talk to Emotart he got a lot of his stuff done by them. I thought you had the ATR kit 140, when did you switch out for a c2?

I would do a tranny swap. Run it on the auto for a while, use that time to source a 5 or 6spd, a nice clutch flywheel package, and a limited slip. Then when the time is right, swap em.
good thinkin. I sold the ATR and bought a brand spanking new C2 kit. Ok ok I lied. i didnt buy one yet. But im sending in payment tomorow.

Is it true that Autos can hold more boost than manuals and autos produce less turbo lag than manuals. If thats the case, then why would a manual be such a good thing. dont flame me for this. Im stick a rookie. llol

·
Banned
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
truspin86 said:
You would eat my stock motor alive, lol... I wanted to go forced induction so badly but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money. By the way where are you doing your install and tuning? The only legit shop around here (that I know of) is CIP motorsports but they only really specialize in Nissans and they dont have a dyno.
Go nitrous bro. Best gain for the money.

as for the install and tune. im gettin it done by ECSF in NY.

truspin86 said:
actually a turbo auto gt vs. an NA auto gts may be a good race...
No it wouldnt. The gts will get smoked like no tomorow. a 5 speed GT can beat a auto GTS anyday so now imagine a gt with turbo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A guy with a vibe in WI just had his tranny built up by a local place. They put in a custom made torque converter and adjustable performance shift/rebuild kit for his auto tranny.

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=23756 his name is Lancer, he has a base vibe (1zz) with a TRD supercharger.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
he is talking about a auto gt turbo vs a n/a 6 auto gts.
that would be a close race.

140 GT said:
Go nitrous bro. Best gain for the money.

as for the install and tune. im gettin it done by ECSF in NY.

No it wouldnt. The gts will get smoked like no tomorow. a 5 speed GT can beat a auto GTS anyday so now imagine a gt with turbo.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My automatic GTS has been destroyed by so many different cars that I find it hard to believe that it can beat anything... Oh well

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
truspin86 said:
My automatic GTS has been destroyed by so many different cars that I find it hard to believe that it can beat anything... Oh well
turn that thing into a 6speed N/A or 6speed F/I and you will start wining.

·
Registered
903 Posts
truspin86 said:
actually a turbo auto gt vs. an NA auto gts may be a good race...
ummmm.... no

6 speed GTS maybe if the GT is running low boost. Even at low boost you have so much more HP AND torque that the GTS doesn't stand a chance unless they have modified the car.

as for faster spoolup with an auto I don't think so... the auto will still be sluggish off the line unless you work on the tranny

The stock auto is plenty strong for the base C2 kit. If you want better off the line acceleration, get a high stall converter. For faster shifts get a valve body rebuild.

The reason to switch to a manual would be because you enjoy driving a stick, not because its more robust.

/oh, and autos don't have to respool when shifting and can build boost off the line. Be careful when brake launching though as you can fry your tranny fluid if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
if you have an ecu with launch control it can maintain boost between shifts, as well as build boost without having to brake launch or install a trans brake.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
first of all you wont have to worry about building up the tanny because you wont be making the amount of Hp to break the damn thing...

Before you start going car part window dream shopping for tranny stuff look into:

Bigger injectors
Bigger 3" exhaust
Bigger Fuel Pump
WideBand to monitor after you get most of the basics....

Then engine build up / Tranny Build

·
Registered
903 Posts
Zenith said:
if you have an ecu with launch control it can maintain boost between shifts, as well as build boost without having to brake launch or install a trans brake.
slightly OT, but how can a computer keep boosting when the throttle plate is closed... w/ an auto you don't close the throttle plate when you shift.

Now w/ antilag you can do some crazy stuff... but it ain't exactly healthy for the turbo or exhaust system in the long term...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
140 GT said:
Is it true that Autos can hold more boost than manuals and autos produce less turbo lag than manuals. If thats the case, then why would a manual be such a good thing. dont flame me for this. Im stick a rookie. llol
Way back when (yes I had to walk both ways up hill to school, jk)cars had lower hp numbers apishly with 4 bangers cuse fuel efficacy was a big thing, it was better to use a standard tyranny as it allowed more hp to the wheels and was more fuel efficient. Autos take more hp to run, less efficient, but far better today. It's almost a mute argument these days as we have cars with 2 to 4 times more standard hp today. Personally I believe standards give you more control of the car.

·
Registered
903 Posts
6speedGTS said:
Way back when (yes I had to walk both ways up hill to school, jk)cars had lower hp numbers apishly with 4 bangers cuse fuel efficacy was a big thing, it was better to use a standard tyranny as it allowed more hp to the wheels and was more fuel efficient. Autos take more hp to run, less efficient, but far better today. It's almost a mute argument these days as we have cars with 2 to 4 times more standard hp today. Personally I believe standards give you more control of the car.
standard absolutly gives you more control of hte car. No replacement for a clutch...

The main reason you don't loose fuel effeciency anymore is that fuel injection/transmissions has advanced to the point where you can idle really low with an auto and the tranny's can be set to shift very conservatively.

Back in the day you were always fighting the torque converter at idle and burning gas where the manuals were happily in neutral.

The celi auto is actually listed as getting better mileage than the standard due to the different final drive, despite the losses through the tranny.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts