NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Automobile Magazine, Lexus will release the successor to the IS300 in mid 2004. A larger and more powerful in-line six, and possibly a V-8 will be offered to compete with the BMW 3 Series. The replacement will have 4 Wheel drive capabilities. A 2 Door Coupe and Convertible are planned for 2006.

Bat

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I hope the inline 6 rumour is true, as there has been a lot of speculation and rumours that the 2JZ would be dropped in favour of a tuned version of the 3.3L MZ series V6 found in the Sienna, ES300, and (later) Camry.

The rumoured V8 does exist (IS430s have been spotted, and there's a rumour of 2 prototypes in AZ), but whether or not it will come to N.A. is unknown (based on current bodystyle).

The AWD will be a boon, but the engine must be a good match too. There is also a rumour that the Synergy Drive high perf. hybrid system will make its way into the IS as well.

My thoughts: This is great (if it's true). A proper sports sedan needs an I6 to compete (moddability is phenomenal with the 2JZ series). The current IS is a very handsome car with great handling, but only adequate power (relative to it's competitors). Furthermore, the RWD-only situation turns away prospective buyers in colder climes, and allows BMW and Audi to claim wider selections (of course, there is the IS300 SportCross Wagon... A fine car; attractive, fun to drive, practiccal, but sadly, virtually unknown due to a total lack of marketing on Lexus' part)

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Dang I kinda liked that car. Guess if I decide to get one it will be used. Took A quick sit in one. Very aggressive inside and out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wasn't it rumored that the IS was going to get the 3.3 v6 engine that was in the ES and upcoming RX/Camry? I guess it's better that it doesn't get that engine. If they release the IS 430, that would be a killer battle between the S4, M3, and IS 430.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I drove an Auto IS300 with I/H/E and full suspension setup and was disappointed with it compared to the celica. It just wasnt sporty enough for me. Great car to haul the family around in though.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The Manual is a totally different animal...
I (a n00b to M/T) found the IS300 M/T to be far more responsive and fun to drive...
That engine is almost impossible to stall....

·
Registered
737 Posts
There is an AWD version of the Altezza already, available on the JDM and here in NZ, it is the Altezza Gita, sport wagon, 3lt, 5 speed auto.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Damn you Deaks! :D

Yeah, the 2JZ is torquey, and smooth like buttah....

The Altezza Gita is our SportCross... We don't get AWD though.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
They need to leave the 2JZ in there, if they replace it, the U.S. can say goodbye to it just like the 3SGTE and 4AGE!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Is that supposed to be the pic of the new IS430? If so, it's taken out the edges of the current IS300, so it looks good and bad in a way at the same time comparing it to the current look. It makes it have a more BMW look to it but with a RAV4 front IMO.:gap:

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
well, I think either MT or C&D had a spy pic of it during testing in Europe, it looked just like the current IS, only with more fender flaring and a more agressive front and vents on the hood. TTE managed to squeeze the 4.3 V8 in there so it's doable, but I would rather see the 2JZ stay.
I agree with The Game, if Toyota decides to drop the 2JZ then we might as well say goodbye to it, because there is rumor of the engine being dropped in favor to a tuned 3.3 V6 ('04 Sienna, RX330)......seems like Toyota wants to play the Nissan VQ game, put the same V6 tuned differently in several vehicles, that same 3.3 engine could be used in everything from the Camry XLE to the GS.

·
Registered
306 Posts
kinda looks like a corolla and IS300 mix to me

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
i don't think they'll be releasing a new IS anytime soon. that body style has been around for 2 to 3 years and judging by lexus track record for restyling cars. were looking at another 3 years with the current body style. the GS series is the one that needs a restyle more than any lexus cause that's been around since 98, so i expect one coming real soon. though the IS has been around since 99 in japan and europe so there might be a good possibility, but why would they be testing the IS430 with the current body style.

bat: that picture has been around for awhile and looks chopped. there was a picture of a 2door IS circulating around and that looked a lot better than the overweight IS pic.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wait a minute here. I thought people here were IS haters, whats going on I see interest.
Are we going to have more Celi owners jump ship to another car?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts