NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just got my valve cover powder coated and I figured that since I have a 2000 GT-S I might as well swap the lift bolts at the same time. I just did the swap and well when i loosened the old ones they were semi hand tight. So when I install the new bolts the top one tightens hand tight without a problem but the bottom one keep on turning? I am afraid I stripped something. I tried to pull on the bolt to see if its tight and it doens't come out so I assume that its tight? Anyone run into this problem or can give me advice? I am afraid that something might go wrong when I go back to driving the car. My buddy says I'm in danger of throwing a rod? Any help would be most helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
sounds like you stripped it. you aren't in danger of throwing a rod, the bolt may however pop out under vibration and 70 psi of oil pressure. If the bolt pops out it may cause damage in the head or may cause a significant loss of oil pressure resulting in any number of problems including a spun connecting rod bearing.

If you want it fixed right you have to take the head off and get a heli-coil put in and make sure that all the shavings are removed from the head when they/you use the heli-coil tap. If you don't those shavings will be in your oil system and can cause major problems.

If you want to do a quick and dirty fix which may or may not work you could just remove the bolt and put a bunch of thread lock on the bolt and put it back and hope thats enough to hold it. I don't suggest this way, it's not the right way to do it and it may come out.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Originally posted by WAR
sounds like you stripped it. you aren't in danger of throwing a rod, the bolt may however pop out under vibration and 70 psi of oil pressure. If the bolt pops out it may cause damage in the head or may cause a significant loss of oil pressure resulting in any number of problems including a spun connecting rod bearing.

If you want it fixed right you have to take the head off and get a heli-coil put in and make sure that all the shavings are removed from the head when they/you use the heli-coil tap. If you don't those shavings will be in your oil system and can cause major problems.

If you want to do a quick and dirty fix which may or may not work you could just remove the bolt and put a bunch of thread lock on the bolt and put it back and hope thats enough to hold it. I don't suggest this way, it's not the right way to do it and it may come out.
:werd: into doesnt take much pressure to get them tight.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
R0ME02984 said:
CRAP! What should I do?
Just leave it out and take it to a shop that can heli-coil it for you.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
Just leave it out and take it to a shop that can heli-coil it for you.
I perfer using timecerts. Similar to a helicoil but a lot stronger....dont come out as easy.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
RedNOSceli said:
I perfer using timecerts. Similar to a helicoil but a lot stronger....dont come out as easy.
I agree totally, but less places are likely to have timecerts in stock for immediate use. Helicoils are very common.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help. How much am I looking at to get this fixed do you guys know? And whats the turn around time cause I got a show coming up really soon. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I did the same thing--but to a lesser degree. I noticed on the way in that it was threading wrong (damn aluminum is so soft). So I pulled it out, cleaned up the shredded aluminum, grabbed some thread locker and put it in right. It actually hand-tightened, but it didn't go in very smooth. So the thread locker was there for insurance. Has worked fine for 6 months now.

Jon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts