NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a 2000 GTS last Wednesday with 97K miles on it. I read a little here on the forum about the common lift bolt issue. This morning I went to change them out and was curious about the old intake lift bolt. Either it wore down dramatically compared to the exhaust, or it was (like I think) different lengths to begin with. I checked the hole and the Cam was in the correct position and could not see any fragments. Also the new bolt threaded all the way down by hand until final torque. I guess what I'm asking is if I should worry about it (take to dealer) or just be happy and drive? I've never owned a Toyota, so I figure I'd ask the Celica Gods here on the forum.
Thanks in advance.

Left to Right - New Bolt, Intake, Exhaust

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,879 Posts
Either it wore down dramatically compared to the exhaust, or it was (like I think) different lengths to begin with.
Probaly broken. They are the same length bolt.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
There is no way that the bolt was a different size when it was installed. I have never seen a bolt that worn and I am surprised that it held up in that condition. From what it looks like either pieces of the bolt broke off in the rocker shaft or the bolt shrank from heat and stress, but I doubt it. It looks like the bolt kept getting beaten to hell and maybe shavings came off every time it got hit.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,879 Posts
Maybe somebody made a lift bolt by grinding down a fully threaded one.
I'm w/dB. Closer pics, please. It does look like it was a DIY bolt.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
^^ I agree. I looked a little closer and it does in fact look like someone was lazy and made their own lift bolt from a regular bolt. If you look at the bolt head there are some key differences between the ghetto bolt and the real bolt. lol Closer pics would help a lot. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I cleaned them up a little bit. I can see the grind marks and the wear marks on the bolt. I can also see the oem bolt tip so I'm not worried anymore. Glad I came hear and read about common celica problems when I did.

Here's the pics - camera can't focus any closer

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
wow I cant believe someone ground a regular bolt down and used it as a lift bolt. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.