NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the law for how many Kelvins is the legal limit for street use? This is for head lights such as H7, etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as to how bright the light is. for example the bulb is 4000K. Im assuming the K stands for kelvin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Color temperature is defined as the absolute temperature (expressed in Kelvin units) of a theoretical black body whose chromaticity most nearly resembles that of the light source. That being said, I believe DOT approved light is 4000k-4300K (rating used by majority of oem sources). I believe 4000k-5000k produces the whitest light, anything above that starts turning blue then purple.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If its not HID then they are all halogen. Some of the high wattage "xenon" bulbs are also halogen with a specialize coating.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see. So theres no law on how bright the lights have to be then? Just want to know before I make a purchase. I know high beams are illegal to use full time cause its too bright.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
For HIDs, street legal is 4300K (5000K on some BMWs). There is no kelvin rating on halogens because there is really no difference between them. They're all around 3800K. Ricer bulbs claim to have higher kelvin, but it's not true color, just yellow light showing through tint.

As for brightness, H7s legally can only be up to 1500 lumens, which is pretty much the max that can be produced off of 55W. Most normal bulbs are a bit lower than that, usually 1350-1400. No white/blue/purple halogen bulbs come even close to that because of their color tint.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wanted to convert to HID, they look amazing...

The 8000k's look like this,

They dont look increadibly blue, but its expensive if you get pulled and asked to change em...

The 5000K look nice,

I think i'll prob go with theese.....

Does anyone know where the best place is to buy a Celica conversion for the 5000k's ??

Link please ppl...

ps... if your brave / stupid go for the 12000k's :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts