NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2.5 years my stock battery gave out, so I figured if it needs replacing might as well go with a lighter / high performance one. Many people use Optima batteries which are good for large sound systems, but actually heavier than the stock battery. Here's a comparison table of possible high-performance batteries and the stock one:

If you drive your car daily (battery recharges often) or only track and don't mind using a trickle charger for storage, you can get away with a very small battery for some significant weight savings. Since I drive my car mostly only on weekends and didn't want to bother with a trickle charger for storage, I went just one step lower capacity than stock (PC925LMJ). This is a very high performance battery with sealed cells (safer for racing), and excellent starting power (CCA), it saves you about 10 lb over stock (in the place where the Celica needs it most) and will still be able to power the alarm for ~3 weeks if the car is not used.

The dimensions are such that the "L" model with the reversed terminals fits nicely in the existing battery tray, when mounted on the side. Since this is a motorcycle battery, it does not come with SAE terminals out-of-the-box. The place I bought mine gave me a used pair for free. Use some thread-lock before screwing them on for set-and-forget operation.

The stock tie down is too big, and the tie down that came with my RMM strut bar is too tall. Summit Racing offers a billet aluminum tray + tie down if you want bling ($100), but I just use a cheap adjustable plastic one ($4) with the stock tie-hooks.

The tie-down is too wide for the small battery, so I pulled it apart, cut it, and hot-glued it back together. The tie end pieces fit nicely into the battery handles on one side, providing both side-to-side and front-back stability.

For about $40 more than a stock replacement battery you just shaved 10 lb of your car in a critical location - not as effective as battery relocation, but way easier / cheaper.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YaNg^_^GuY said:
damn, that's a cool looking battery. need to look into getting it. got a Apex Universal Grounding Kit and a stonger and smaller battery would do me a lot of good. thanks for the info! ;p oh yeah, what's the voltage difference between the battery that you're using to the stock battery?

Later,
Kou
No difference in voltage :).

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is more of an Update concerning Optima Redtop Batteries. I have a redtop 75/35-925 and is different from the one posted at the top.

Optima Redtop
Weight=33lbs (lighter then stock battery)
Capacity=54ah (RCx0.60 roughly)
CCA=720 (cold cranking amps)
CA=910 (cranking amps)
RC=90 (reserve capacity in minutes discharge 25amps at 80degrees)

Dimensions (shorter then stock)
height= 7 inches
depth = 6.750 inches
width = 9 inches

The only mod you have to do to get it to fit is thread the hold downs about an inch farther down the rod. and that's it.

Fits great. Smaller and Lighter then stock.

here's a pic of it

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My battery is dying in my old car, so I was thinking of buying a great lightweight battery for my celica, and trading the celica's battery into the old car. Well, I was looking around everywhere for a cheap price for this battery online, and the Odyssey925 goes usually around $135-$175.

But guess what I found!!! It's a diamond in the rough. I found the battery for under $100. In fact, it's $91.25!

I just wanted to pass on this great find for you guys. Oh yeah... this guide states it doesn't come with battery terminals, but he bought the one without them. They cost $17 to buy a set of terminals, but this model was designed for automotive use, so it comes with automotive terminals. Also, the shape isn't that long tall sized he has either, the dimensions are like a standard battery, but just shorter instead. It couldn't get any better!

Enjoy!

http://www.batteryplex.com/odyssey-detail.cfm?model=PC925T

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know how much you all realize, but if you use the odyssey battery, but if you use any form of gel or AGM battery, your not suppose to use a trickle charger on it at all. You need to use a battery charger that is made for AGM, or Gel batteries only. Using a regular battery charger, even if it's a trickle charger can damage these batteries and void all warranties on them. Trust me, I sell them for a living and do mods to alternator, starter systems, and I see this all the time. If you want a great battery for the Celica GT, or the GTS a DEKA 570dt will work just fine for under 100 bucks, and have all the power you need with out upping your alternator.
Later
Tim
www.pasco-m.com

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know how much you all realize, but if you use the odyssey battery, but if you use any form of gel or AGM battery, your not suppose to use a trickle charger on it at all. You need to use a battery charger that is made for AGM, or Gel batteries only. Using a regular battery charger, even if it's a trickle charger can damage these batteries and void all warranties on them. Trust me, I sell them for a living and do mods to alternator, starter systems, and I see this all the time. If you want a great battery for the Celica GT, or the GTS a DEKA 570dt will work just fine for under 100 bucks, and have all the power you need with out upping your alternator.
Later
Tim
www.pasco-m.com
Holy ancient thread revival batman ... since (as you pointed out) you sell Deka batteries, is it possible your advice may not be entirely unbiased? In regards to how best to charge odessey batteries, this may be helpful:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/charging.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
We carry East Penn Batteries which include the optimas, Deka, Panosonic's and we also carry Exide batteries which cover a lot of different brands. I quote Deka, because they have the most info on batteries out there. I will not sell anything to a person if they don't need it. I show people that what they have is still in good condition and they appreciate that kinda service. I don't work for commission at all, so the I won't make a sale based on money. I am an industrial electrician and I won't give the wrong advise based on product. Take a look at your link and see what it is telling you. There is a huge difference to the charge compared to normal batteries. I was just saying for the amount your paying you can get an great battery with a lot of kick without the expense of special equipment to support it. I'm not trying to create an argument for Deka. Exide also has a few that are great too, but you'll pay. If you need more info Hit me up!!
Later
Tim
www.pasco-m.com

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
I want a really light battery. My car will be used only in summer months and driven every other day. Would this battery be ok to use?

Hawker Odyssey PC625, 13lbs - 265CCA

http://www.gotbatteries.com/items.asp?params=batteries/SLA/1/Hawker/Odyssey/PC625/SL170/37L170S1

This link has a good range also

http://www.batterymart.com/c-odyssey-batteries.html

I need something as light as possible, but able to start the car happily if I drive it once every two or three days.

I wouldnt even mind having to use my stock battery for DD, then stick this one in (only takes a few minutes anyway) before I go racing

http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc310-battery.html

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Oooh nice. I went for the PC680 battery though. Weights 7kg and...ahhh I can't remember the specs off my head.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
I can comment on my own odyssey pc680 battery but not the Braille...

So far, the battery seems to be happy to holt it's charge even when not used for long periods. It still happily shows well over 14.4~ volts when the car is notin use. For using the car, it's been fine to start up all the time.

I'll update in a few months time after it's had some real use though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Does anybody already tried the BuddyClub batteries (RSB25 SMALL)?
Got mine a few weeks ago, 2 times smaller and ~10 lbs lighter than OEM, 22Ah.
I'll post pics ASAP!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.