NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my insurance payment for my stolen rims, so its time to purchase the new ones. I had intended on getting the lightest weight 17" rims I could find, the SSR's. Then I found a lot of information about how easily SSR's are damaged, do to their lightweight construction. I will need to use these rims for street use from time to time and won't risk the cost of damaging them.

I have narrowed my search to two of the lighter forged rims available. 17x7.5 at 15 lbs and 17x7 at 14 lbs. Obviously the extra 1/2 inch of rim is going to add some weight. I intend to run 225/45-17 tires so they will work well on either rim.

Since the cost is the same I have been debating this question: What do you think is most important for autocross the extra 1/2 inch of width or the 1lbs un-sprug weight loss? Thanks

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Which rim fits the tire manufacturers recommendations better?
Are you planning on running any wider tire in the future?
We run VERY wide 225 45 15 Hoosiers on stock size 6.5" width rims. I know people that run the same size on 6" wide rims.
IMHO too wide a rim can be worse than too narrow leading to more roll-over.
My real question though would be if these are primarily AX rims, why are you going to 17"? 16" or even 15" would be better AX choices depending on car class and tire you're running. Bimmer tried 17's on his STS car and has switched back to 16s IIRC. I'd ask him for wheel tire recommendations if you are running a GTS in STS or Jeff H if you have a GT.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Today I saw something interesting.

A set of SSR Comps on an STX WRX with bent spokes on three wheels. The whole center section actually moved outward creating a LOT more offset. The wheels had been powder coated but unless the shop really screwed up the oven temp it should not have caused any problems.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I intend to run these rims for autocross. I ran 16x6.5 stock GTS rims with Kumho 225/45-16 tires in GS and then DS when everyone said 15" had to be run to win. I liked the 16" setup though and it worked for me. I thought i'd run Falken Azenis Sport tire 225/45-17 because Falken doesn't make a 225 for the 16" rim.

I guess I need to research some more if as a rule 17" don't work for autocross!

Other then Falken Sports, what tire is doing well in STS these days?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
nxracer said:
Today I saw something interesting.

A set of SSR Comps on an STX WRX with bent spokes on three wheels. The whole center section actually moved outward creating a LOT more offset. The wheels had been powder coated but unless the shop really screwed up the oven temp it should not have caused any problems.
This is a just a coincidence but one of our local STX WRX cracked his SSR just recently.

http://images6.fotki.com/v100/photos/4/43793/1098813/SSRScracked-vi.jpg

·
Registered
276 Posts
GS519 said:
I intend to run these rims for autocross. I ran 16x6.5 stock GTS rims with Kumho 225/45-16 tires in GS and then DS when everyone said 15" had to be run to win. I liked the 16" setup though and it worked for me. I thought i'd run Falken Azenis Sport tire 225/45-17 because Falken doesn't make a 225 for the 16" rim.

I guess I need to research some more if as a rule 17" don't work for autocross!

Other then Falken Sports, what tire is doing well in STS these days?

Thanks
The ecsta MX is the other tire for STS. I like the Azenis though and I use the 215/45/16 (which is actually a little wider than 215, about 223) on a 16x7.5 inch wheel and I like it a lot.
If you are hellbent on using the 17" Azenis know that they are quite heavy and they should be run on the 7.5" rim. We have that wheel and tire setup on our WRX and in my opinion it would be to much for a low power celica to handle. The 225 width would be nice but the weight of the tire and wheel and the change in final drive because of the size would negate the width. That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think 4WD cars put an exceptionally high side load on wheels. There was a local Eagle Talon here that broke the centers out of several OEM RX7 wheels. Most of the problems I've heard about with SSRs has been due to meeting up with nasty potholes in street use, especially with low profile rubberband tires. Our Rota slipstreams are giving us excellent service, especially considering the price.
Some like the Kumho MX tires and there has been rumors of another Falken tire being a sleeper.
The big issue with the GTS and 17s is that the engine doesn't have a lot of low end torque, so the increased gearing bogs the car during low speed stuff.
I would never powder coat aluminum wheels, especially forged ones, it doesn't require a lot of heat to anneal aluminum.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I will go back to the 16" set up I ran in DS. Thanks for the good information.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just to chime in here, I have used some lightweight 17x7.5 wheels on my car with Azenis and the grip was great but it was not worth the hit in acceleration and braking. I'm currently using 16" SSR's up front with 15" Kosei's in the rear which works pretty well. I really would like it if there was a nice 15x7.5" wheel for our cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts