NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is posted in the right place, but here's my question. I'm about to replace my clutch, and I thought since the transmission is out, why not get a lightweight flywheel. I've seen some YouTube videos where people saying that the lighter weight doesn't provide the balance of a stock flywheel and that it'll eventually destroy the engine. How true is this? Is it something I should actually be concerned about?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've heard ppl say this about crank pullies because they have a rubber damper built in, butnever heard anyone say the same about a flywheel. Of course, if the flywheel itself is not balanced it could cause issues. I've put a lightweight flywheel in every car I've owned for the past 15 years and never had an issue. Just buy a quality piece that you know has been balanced well. Avoid the really cheap ones and you'll be able to enjoy the benefits without worry.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard ppl say this about crank pullies because they have a rubber damper built in, butnever heard anyone say the same about a flywheel. Of course, if the flywheel itself is not balanced it could cause issues. I've put a lightweight flywheel in every car I've owned for the past 15 years and never had an issue. Just buy a quality piece that you know has been balanced well. Avoid the really cheap ones and you'll be able to enjoy the benefits without worry.
I plan on buying a fidanza flywheel

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personally I m more comfortable with a 1 piece flywheel. I know fidanza had some issues in the past, hopefully it's all ironed out by now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it important to get a new bolt set if I were to get a fidanza flywheel?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, the OEM flywheel bolts are torque to yield so should not be reused. You can buy new ones pretty cheap, or if you think you'll ever be in there again, spend a little extra on a set of ARP flywheel bolts which are reusable.
Either way, be sure to torque the bolts to the spec the bolt manufacturer recommends.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Lighter flywheel spins up and down faster and does not store as much inertial energy as a heavier one. So if you wanna crank er up off the line quicker, lighten the flywheel. If you want to er to have some extra push at lower rpm, get a heavier flywheel.
I didn't bother with the lighter flywheel on my 2ZZ ministock Celica (I think it weighed ~14 lbs...wasn't a big jump down to the 9 lb one).
However, both my older 83-84 RWD, 22RE Celica racecars have 9lb fidanza flywheels and you sure notice the difference over the 23 lb stock one, but that is also on the track and not the street.
Crawling along in rush hour traffic would likely be more of a pain with the light flywheel. My 5 cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
monkey wrench racing experts recommend oem flywheel for track/racing/hard street use, fyi. supposedly the damper is helpful at high rpm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It was definitely noticeable. Whether it made the car faster, I don't know, and if it did I doubt it made much of a difference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fidanza flywheel came in today, I'm excited to get it in. I ordered it from a website and it took less then 24 hours after ordering it to arrive at my house

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the flywheel and the new clutch and I love the way everything feels, I'm really happy with it

·
Registered
2001 Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTi
4 Posts
I got the Competition Clutch Ultra Lightweight Flywheel for my 1zz Celica and ARP bolts, wish I had the extra £$€ for a stage 1 clutch as well, but I went with a stock replacement, Ashika, that I had for some time in my parts box 😋
It weighs 4kg (8.81lbs), though it's listed as 4.5kg, I'm not sure if my scale is 100% accurate, but I'm sure it is not off with 0.5kg. The Fidanza lightweight flywheel it is listed to 4.16kg (9.17lbs).
I don't want to put off those who are running or planning on Fidanza flywheels, but the main difference is not in the wight, the difference is in the price, Competition Clutch Ultra Lightweight Flywheel it's half the price and 1 piece flywheel, for the peace of mind. On the other hand, Fidanza offers inserts to replace the worn-out ones, for about 65£, which is great, but you probably can get away with less than that to resurface the Competition Ultra flywheel, only that the last one has a limited amount of resurfacing.
I was keen on Fidanza, but the price got me chose Ultra, and then the fact that is 1 piece.
Anyway, not to make this post too long, I can say that it brought the 1ZZ to life, revs happily too, so it is a good choice if you consider getting one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts