·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,636 Posts
P1693 Cam does not change to high−lift cam
VVTL OCV malfunction

·
Registered
5 Posts
i found that p1693 is a OCV close malfunction. what does that mean, do i need to replace the oil control valve. i already cleaned it, and it's still sputtering at the high rpms...

any help will do.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Have you checked the cone filter behind the valving block of the lift OCV?P1693 means that the oil pressure switch for lift did NOT see oil pressure after 6000 RPM when it should. There is a test for the valve in the manual. It can also be the oil pressure switch for lift, you would need to test it.

·
15,636 Posts
Create a new thread in the Repair & Maintenance Forum, please.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thank i will check it in a few days when i can get to it.

thanks again, and i will start an new thread in the repair & maintenance forum.

thank again for all the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've a JDM 2000 TRD Sports M celica and need a OBDII reader that'll work. I've got a U381 and it won't connect any help please. My local toyota in Ireland can connect so it is possible? Any help please??

·
Registered
108 Posts
i was driving down the highway last night and all of a sudden my CEL light came on. I went to advance auto parts and he gave me the code P0171. Says its running too lean. Any advice on what to do to fix it?

My current mods are, AEM CAI, axleback exhaust, and other non-engine mods.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a problem too. I had a code: catalytic efficiency below threshold come up and i had a new cat and o2 sensor put in. Three months later the same code came on. I took it to the guy who did the job and he said that everything is fine and that probably the car's computer needs an update? Is that true? This by the way is my third cat converter. Does Toyota have to reset it a certain way? Please Advise

·
15,636 Posts
The early MY Celica ECM's don't reflash. Any indications as to what is killing the cats? Were the sensors replaced before? You'd do better posting directly in the Repair/Maintenance Forum rather than in a sticky.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good Topic, But someone should start a subtopic to this one and the threads should be about how to fix each code. Or mods that have been done to help with the codes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
PO171 System too lean(bank 1)
OK from what I'm getting from some of the threads I've read this is from the CAI (Cold Air Intake) telling the MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor) theres too much air. I saw the mod with cutting the stock air box and putting the MAFS section of it inline with the CAI. My question about this is why doesn't the MAFS tell the computer to provide more gas with the increase in air flow? And are there any PC chips out that will fix this problem? I do have some hesitation between shifting and would like to correct the problem. What other fixes are there? Is the lean code coming from the MAFS or is it from one of the O2 sensors on the cat? If its the o2 sensors will the defouler trick work? and what are the draw backs?

·
15,636 Posts
PO171 System too lean(bank 1)
OK from what I'm getting from some of the threads I've read this is from the CAI (Cold Air Intake) telling the MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor) theres too much air. I saw the mod with cutting the stock air box and putting the MAFS section of it inline with the CAI. My question about this is why doesn't the MAFS tell the computer to provide more gas with the increase in air flow?
Not exactly the correct thread for this... But, the problem is that the MAF isn't sensing the airflow correctly. Therefore, it isn't providing the ECM with correct info for it to judge it's fuel mapping.
And are there any PC chips out that will fix this problem?
Yes, but they are not economical and require tuning. http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_72&products_id=1260198051
What other fixes are there?
Stand alone ECM.
Is the lean code coming from the MAFS or is it from one of the O2 sensors on the cat?
Comes from the 1st AFR O2 sensor & ECM.
If its the o2 sensors will the defouler trick work?
No, that is for the converter efficiency 2nd O2 sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
does anyone know what this code means? p1683. it showed on the diagnostic tool this exactly "p1683 OCV for VVTL Close fault B1." I have been to Autozone and a couple other places and they have all told me I will have to go to the dealership to find out this code which I really dont want to pay 50 dollars just to know the problem.

·
15,636 Posts
I'm guessing they misread the code and it should be a P1693 VVTL OCV Close malfunction. See further above your post for more info. Most likely you have a bad OCV, low oil pressure, or a plugged up VVTL oil screen. See: Sticky: VVT-i & VVTL-i OCV Screen Cleaning Guide

·
Registered
12 Posts
p1346...

hi i got the trouble code p1346 came up (vvt/camshaft position sensor) on my car (01 celica gt) ...i replaced the camshaft sensor and had the check engine light reset...ran it for about 3 weeks and light came back up same trouble code p1346...what else can this be? if anyone can help me plz send me a message on what i can do or replace...car has about 103xxx miles on it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
you were right about it being misread. it was a p1693 and all my problem was having the wrong oil filter! the toyota dealership was telling me i'd end up paying 700 to 1000 dollars for the problem and thats all i ended up doing is paying for a new filter and oil after a different shop telling me to check this.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.