NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is not a celica question but an audio question. I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS with the 3-in-1 JBL head unit, on saturday my wife called me and told me the CD changer (in-dash) was not working. Here's what the symptoms are:

-when hitting eject nothing comes out, but you hear the disc trying to move in the magazine and it clicks
-in the lower right hand corner of the LCD the little stack of CD's icon is flashing

I presume a label from a CD came off and it's stuck in the magazine (a CD-R with a label on it). So here's the question:
Does anyone know or have a diagram of how to take the OEM HU off a 2K Avalon?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hmm. My Grandpa has a 2K3 Avalon which I'm sure is similar. I don't know how to take it out, but I'm sure you will need to take the trim bezel off to get access to it. One lesson to learn here is to never use labels on CD's. CD players in cars get extremely hot, and it F's labeled CD's very easily. Just take care when you disasemble the changer.

Curt

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I opened it up, it seems the mechanism that pushes the discs out is shot and the 6-disc magazine is misaligned. The "pusher" pops out of its track and I tried time and time again to get everything straight and everytime power came on the damn thing would just not work right.....so I took out the CD player part and reassembled the unit so now it only has tape and radio. I told my wife I would put my OEM celica HU in there since it has a CD player.....but she said no....:wtf: :chuckles:.

Anyways, now I'm looking to get another whole unit. I found some on ebay and worst case scenario, I'll get a separate 6CD changer and hook it up to the radio which has another plug for this purpose, seems like "trusty" :rolleyes: Delco planned ahead to bypass the in-dash changer in case it was necessary, and this had to happen just out of warranty.....doesn't always just happen when the warranty JUST ran out? sheesh.....

·
Registered
320 Posts
put everything back together and take it to the dealer. tell them that the cd player doesn't work anymore. it makes funny noise. the shuold be able to fix/give a new one. just act really dumb and say your wife was playing around with it one day and then after that it just didn't seem to work. this more often then not works.

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lxj7105 said:
put everything back together and take it to the dealer. tell them that the cd player doesn't work anymore. it makes funny noise. the shuold be able to fix/give a new one. just act really dumb and say your wife was playing around with it one day and then after that it just didn't seem to work. this more often then not works.
ummm, I'm out of warranty........I'm @ 43K miles......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts