NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for new shocks/struts to replaced my worn OE shocks and plan on keeping my stock springs. I'd like to have some increased performance/handling but can't figure out which is a good (reliable) option. I don't plan on getting lowering springs as I want to keep good ground clearance. From information scouring the web I've found the following information

KYB GR2s/excel-g: OE replacement they seem to have a short life ~$240
KYB AGX: Adjustable rebound ~$420
Tokico blues: Stiffer than stock--will blow out? Sounds like they have a really bad reputation ~$300
Tokico illumina: Adjustable rebound+compression $490

Any suggestions for a good strut mount as well?
I live in NJ land of pot-holes and awful roads and while price is sort of an issue, I'd like something that'll last me so I won't have to pay for labor twice.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think the issue with the GR2s is that people usually run them with tein s-techs, which they weren't exactly designed for, and thus the short life. Having said that, I'm on both GR2s and Tein s-techs and they've held up super well. Eventually I'll swap 'em out for AGXs.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
GR2 with OEM springs is identical to OEM ride height, comfort, and handling. 100% stock these cars are good performers without riding harshly. If you feel like the rear is 'bunny hopping' over potholes and road joints check the rear toe, one or both sides will be just out of spec or on the edge of spec, correcting that will fix the sideways hop issue.

GR2 are essentially the same as what came on the car out of the factory but without a Toyota part number stamped on the side, they typically last and perform and fail at the same rates as the OEM stuff does. Should be good for about 60-80K miles depending on how you drive/the roads/how the car is loaded, which is comparable to OEM stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts