NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

OK so here is the deal. I'm looking at two Auto trans Celicas. One is a GT with 30k miles. The other is a GT-S with 67k miles. Both are 2000, and both cost the same.

I've searched a little bit and it seems that the GT auto is just as fast as the GT-S (which is pretty lame). How is the reliability? I've already heard about the lift bolts on the GT-S. Anything else? I'm kind of disappointed because it seems that the Celica isn't up to par with traditional Toyota quality.

Don't try to convince me to get a manual. The wife wants a sporty 2 door coupe and she can't drive a manual...she tried on my MR2 and failed.

Thanks,
Osman

·
Registered
13,310 Posts
I have a '00 GTS Auto with 46K and the single problem was the lift bolts. They'll run you about a buck. There is a service bulletin on them so the dealer will replace them for you if the car is experiencing trouble. Since you are from VA, check the DCM forum and www.dcm7thgen.org for local club information.

Welcome.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Since the wife will be driving it, and seeing as though it has to be an auto I would go with the GT. It has lower mileage and you will save a bit on insurance (a lot depending on yours/her record).

Only real problem with the GT is that they tend to burn oil like no other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go with the GT. It's got power windows/locks & alloys, and they are asking $10,900. Sound like a good price? Seemed pretty low compared to celicas on autotrader.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Ozymandias
Hey,

OK so here is the deal. I'm looking at two Auto trans Celicas. One is a GT with 30k miles. The other is a GT-S with 67k miles. Both are 2000, and both cost the same.

I've searched a little bit and it seems that the GT auto is just as fast as the GT-S (which is pretty lame). How is the reliability? I've already heard about the lift bolts on the GT-S. Anything else? I'm kind of disappointed because it seems that the Celica isn't up to par with traditional Toyota quality.

Don't try to convince me to get a manual. The wife wants a sporty 2 door coupe and she can't drive a manual...she tried on my MR2 and failed.

Thanks,
Osman
if she failed. keep trying maybe. Because in reality the GT/GTS auto arent "fast" anything. 17 second quarters verus the manuals high 15's GT and high 14's GTS.

If your going auto with plans of maybe going 6 speed later via swap, then go GTS. But if it must stay auto, then go GT and go all aesthetic mods.

Also keep searching. a GT should never cost as much as a GTS.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think they cost the same because of the difference in milage... the GTS has over double the miles. Also $10,900 is a very good price for a GT with that many miles...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, it sucks I have to get an auto...but she doesn't care about speed...and my MR2 gives me my fix.

·
Registered
22,454 Posts
If I were going to get an auto I'd get a GT as auto basically defeats the purpose of the GTS (high revving). The major benefit to GT over GTS is gasoline in that you can run 87 on a GT and not on a GTS.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
*holding back auto rant* I guess go with the auto GT. Less to worry about, she probably won't feel the need to use lift in a GT-S, and regular gas is cheaper. :)

Originally posted by WillyWonka
There is a service bulletin on them so the dealer will replace them for you if the car is experiencing trouble.

Welcome.
Stay away from Russel Toyota in MD though for the work. :chuckles: Oh, and welcome!

mei*

·
Registered
874 Posts
the auto gt is only faster in the 1/4 mile. a highway race in a gts would leave the gt crying in the dust. A GTS can still rev all the way to 8200 rpms so that shouldn't be a concern. If you must own auto then go for the GT-S, it's still alot more fun to drive than the GT.

Also my auto GT-S is for sale right now.... I'm in upstate NY, PM me if you're interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts