NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a TRD shift knob and it doesn't seem to screw in tight. I'll turn it all the way but it just spins around when it reaches the bottom. It's not completely loose but it's loose enough. I even tried using the teflon tape to wrap around the thread and it doesn't work. Also, the white clip is removed so that's not the problem. My friend said that I could get the knob rethreaded. Any ideas? TIA :)

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it off a member on this board. It's aluminum with leather. The threading on the shifter is ok because I put my stock one on there and it fit just fine and snug. I can take pics of the knob if needed.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
the threading inside the knob sounds like it's worn out, the previuos owner may have cross threaded it and taken the thing on and off a couple times. and theres no way you can re-thread it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
man mine does the same. but heres the thing it worked fine tell i drop my car off to get painted now it just spins and spins. what bs. it use to work fine until those bammas at the shop missed it up. but i have a momo combat shift knob. same think if u know what i mean

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
i thought it was new too. i tried it on the TRD SS and it did not work; it was a loose fit as described. i just assumed it did not work with the SS. perhaps i was sent a faulty item or a customer return. let me find the receipt and see if we can get it replaced. if not, you can have your money back if you'd like.

what if you use locktite or some bonding material?

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by bagodoosh
i thought it was new too. i tried it on the TRD SS and it did not work; it was a loose fit as described. i just assumed it did not work with the SS. perhaps i was sent a faulty item or a customer return. let me find the receipt and see if we can get it replaced. if not, you can have your money back if you'd like.

what if you use locktite or some bonding material?
I MIGHT try that. Thanks for the options bagodoosh :thumbup: We'll work something out :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
um, don't use locktite because you'll probably have to loosen it at a later time

i used teflon tape. just wrap that around the metal shift lever around 2-3 times and you'll be golden. just use more and more until your new knob is tight. you can find that tape in any store in the plumbing department

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by fubarlphie
um, don't use locktite because you'll probably have to loosen it at a later time

i used teflon tape. just wrap that around the metal shift lever around 2-3 times and you'll be golden. just use more and more until your new knob is tight. you can find that tape in any store in the plumbing department
I tried that. Didn't work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts