NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this really sucks! I was driving down I-696 and had to exit on to Woodward. Now once you get off the ramp, there are 4 lanes... two that go straight and two that turn right onto woodward. There are two stoplights before the actual turn and i'm sitting there in the 2nd lane to the right with a brand new red cadillac to my left. Anyway, the light turns green and I start off slowly as did the caddy. I decided to punch it and at the same time the caddy takes off too (i guess he had to get over and he thought i was gonna take off fast, but i didn't). Well, he gets behind me and now we turn on to Woodward. And just my luck, we get another redlight and the Caddy is in the lane that merges left about 1/4 mile down the street. So, I said F*** it, i'm gonna gun it. Now this is the first time i ever launched my car!!! So, i figure since i usually launch my celi at around 4k, i think 4k would be perfect!!! Well, the light turns green and the caddy takes off and i on the other hand drop the clutch and i bog my car!!! It skips a lil bit and then it starts to take off from 2k rpm. By that time, teh caddy was sooo far ahead of me!!! I was so disappointed! My first race and I lost!!! I gotta learn how to launch this thing!!! :-(

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well... when i used to launch my celi, i'd rev it to 4k and drop it.... the tires would spin a lil but i'd still be moving forward... then it would grip, lift would kick in and i'm off. I dropped the clutch at 4k on my mr2, and the tires gripped instantly... the car bogged!!! It skipped a few feet, and then it took off from the bottom of the rpm band! it was sad! :-( I guess i have to rev it up higher, or kinda slip the clutch and then release it fully

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hey man, dont feel bad. I use to practice launching in my 1991 MR2 Turbo for days before I got the hang of it. The thing is the MR2 loves to hook off the line. I tried to do a standing burning but couldn't because the traction would overwhelm the car and the whole car would push forward even when I'm stomped hard on the brakes. Anyways, the best method of launching my MR2 was to hold it at around 5000 rpms, then just slip it out of the hole while holding the gas steady, when you start to move just side step the clutch and punch it, you should spin a little but take off like a motherfuc*ker! I never lost off the line, I would always hang with AWD cars. Good luck to you next time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Boost300zx said:
you would have lost even w/ a good start
Yeah :thumbdown: The Caddy STS' power is limited in first gear due to the fact that GM couldn't build a tranny to handle the power, especially on the 1-2 shift (it short shifts 1st). The STS might have 300hp, but it weighs ~4000lbs, it's FWD, a DOHC V8 (not incredible torque in the lower revs, and has a tall 1st this all equals to a rather slow 0-30mph time. An STS would be lucky to pull a lower 2.3 60'. The MR2 on the otherhand should is able to pull 1.9-2.0 60's very easily assuming you don't bog.

Dave

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
yeah, it's targa top, you can tell cause his roof is black.

As for RevHappyGTS, don't fukin listen to him, he cheats...he has some kinda weird Asian voodoo thing goin on where he always gets the best launches. I've seen him take out some pretty fast cars in his little GSR, and even when he gets behind the wheel of someone else's car, he usually drives it better than they do...except me :)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hey Matt, what gives with TwinTurbo.net? I tried registering like 50 times today, but it kept giving me an error. I read everything and filled everything out multiple times so I know it's not me. Does it not except e-mail addy's from hotmail or something? Thats the only thing I can think of. What should I do? If you could, e-mail the mod and ask whats up for me. I wanna setup some runs with some So Cal Z's as soon as I get insurance back on da Poopra.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The mr2 isn't really a targa top... i believe supras are targas. Mr2's are t-tops. They have a bar in the middle. As far as the caddy is concerned, if i see him again, he's toast!!! :) Just installed my fuel cut defencer, manual boost controller and boost gauge a few days ago! Pushing 15 psi now as opposed to 9.5!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.