NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
What happens after you reset the ECU?

Did you adjust cable slack? The throttle should be resting on the stop screw.

Might be a weak throttle return spring.

Look at Loop status at idle (when warm). Should be Closed Loop. Where your troubles are just above your idle rpm, I suspect that the faulty high idle may have thrown off the fuel map in that range.
When I reset the ECU, the code comes back after a little while.

The throttle is resting on the stop screw with the throttle plate closed completely. I did not adjust the cable slack.

On a side note, seems like I have the wrong spark plugs in. The service manual's spec is IFR5A11 and the ones I have in are BKR5EIX. Although I've seen a thread that mentions the BKR's are the right ones. Is there a difference? Also, the tips seem a little whiter than they should be.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,263 Posts
When I reset the ECU, the code comes back after a little while.
What, if anything, changes with the hesitation?

BKR5EIX-11 are correct NGK "power" plugs for a GT. The IFR5A11 are stock long life plugs.

However, that gap looks a bit excessive.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What, if anything, changes with the hesitation?

BKR5EIX-11 are correct NGK "power" plugs for a GT. The IFR5A11 are stock long life plugs.

However, that gap looks a bit excessive.
Thanks for the clarification. I checked the gap, it's at 1.1mm. It was pre-gapped that way.

As far as what changes with the hesitation. Nothing. It happens at completely random times. When it's happening, it gets worse the more I depress the throttle.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Check all of the isolators for any black marks (end outside the chamber). Check inside the boots for any gray or white lines.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts

Burn marks on the insulator and inside the boots, you can get intermittent arcing due to a failing boot or moisture or just deteriorated rubber.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts

Compression leakage adds potentially conductive contaminants to the high voltage area where the plug and coil meet at the end of the spring inside the boot, any contamination can lead to spark leakage which can manifest as an intermittent misfire. Examine the plugs closely and the boots even more closely for burns or cracks, white or gray spots or lines.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
If the plugs are old, it's nothing to worry about. The seal inside the plug between the shell and ceramic leaks when they get old, usually not enough to cause problems but if you have a weak boot it can add contamination and cause enough spark leak to get misfires.

bad timing should be constant, but it would easily throw a code for the VVT being outside the commanded range if it were enough to affect performance. So I doubt the engine is out of time and I doubt it's a VVT issue. It could be an injector issue but not likely either.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If the plugs are old, it's nothing to worry about. The seal inside the plug between the shell and ceramic leaks when they get old, usually not enough to cause problems but if you have a weak boot it can add contamination and cause enough spark leak to get misfires.

bad timing should be constant, but it would easily throw a code for the VVT being outside the commanded range if it were enough to affect performance. So I doubt the engine is out of time and I doubt it's a VVT issue. It could be an injector issue but not likely either.
The plugs are relatively new. I've had them in for about 20k miles. I'll have to check the rest of the plugs and the boots. I should probably also do a compression test. Thanks a bunch for the info Bitter.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
What year 1ZZ? Any slight loping at idle? Easier to feel that with an automatic due to being loaded at a stop. A rhythmic single lope can indicate a weak cylinder,but since compression is for our purposes static a low cylinder would be a constant problem, not one that comes and goes.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What year 1ZZ? Any slight loping at idle? Easier to feel that with an automatic due to being loaded at a stop. A rhythmic single lope can indicate a weak cylinder,but since compression is for our purposes static a low cylinder would be a constant problem, not one that comes and goes.
It's a 2002. What do you mean by loping?

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Oh Jeeze, I'm not hoot at defining common automotive terms. Uhh a rhythmic shake or slight regularly timed surging in engine speed.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,263 Posts
Fix the P0505 and you'll probably fix the hesitation.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Starting to wonder if the misfire is spawned from the vacuum leak which he must have to idle at 1500.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts