NewCelica.org Forum banner

101 - 114 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
With the white residue on the plugs, you definitely have coolant leaked into cylinders.

The hesitation at 3K RPM is caused by the plugs being fouled up and not sparking.

This is a serious problem. I suggest you bring it into a good Toyota dealer for diagnoses.

If leaks are confirmed, you can try to use the radiator leak plug fluids. It would help.
So why only in that rpm range?

I'll get a head gasket leak tester. That should tell me if coolant is entering the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My guess is, pass the 3K RPM range the cylinders burn a lot of energy and vaporize the residue so the plugs can spark.

I had leaks in 1 cylinder in a Nissan 280Z head. It does similar thing, hesitating at about 3K RPM but run smooth at higher RPM with white smoke.

Rev your engine up to 5K RPM . If any white smoke comes out of the tail pipe, cylinders are burning coolant.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
My guess is, pass the 3K RPM range the cylinders burn a lot of energy and vaporize the residue so the plugs can spark.

I had leaks in 1 cylinder in a Nissan 280Z head. It does similar thing, hesitating at about 3K RPM but run smooth at higher RPM with white smoke.

Rev your engine up to 5K RPM . If any white smoke comes out of the tail pipe, cylinders are burning coolant.
I was revving to 4k and I saw absolutely no smoke at all. I get what you're saying though. Could it also be possible that oil is entering the combustion chamber and causing the same issue as what you describe? I have an '02 and it does go through about a quart of oil every 3k miles.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oil burn would exhaust brown/black smoke.

If it burns a quart every 3K miles, it would likely fail smog in California.

I would take the car to a good Toyota dealer for diagnosis. It may be something very simple like a cracked/leaky vacuum hose somewhere .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wish. Still has hesitation between 2-3k rpm.

New:
Clutch, up and down 02 sensors, pcv valve, injector coils, plugs, cleaned maf

Going to try swapping my MAF with my FJ as they are the same but that is the only thing in the closed loop I have not changed.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,309 Posts
Might I suggest starting your own thread, Wrecklessbman?

Is yours a GT? Is it a hesitation/lag or misfire? Aftermarket intake?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Does the hesitation feel like a miss in the engine power or more like a grab in the chassis or driveline? I assume the clutch change was to eliminate a chassis type grabbing feeling. Does it miss at the same rpm in all gears?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I will!

I took out the injen Sri that was in it. Cleaned the MAF as it was super dirty. Stock air box didn't make a difference.

While accelerating the Celica once it's warmed up it tends to almost lurch during acceleration through 2k - 5k rpm.
And yes it is a GT.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I would attach a quality datalogger/scanner and monitor the results for a few test runs. I chased a similar issue for a month or two which turned out to be a fuzzy signal from the crank sensor. It was on a 2zz engine though.
For what it's worth, my son's 06 1zzFE Matrix had a similar issue that was cured by replacing the rubber intake manifold gasket. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does the hesitation feel like a miss in the engine power or more like a grab in the chassis or driveline? I assume the clutch change was to eliminate a chassis type grabbing feeling. Does it miss at the same rpm in all gears?

TBH any help is appreciated. One can feel quite lost in trying to find issues. The only reason i posted on this thread is it has almost identically matched my issue.

i changed the clutch and fluids to rule out any issues relating to the clutch. It feels like its almost gulping too much air/too little. It doesnt miss out at the same rpm in all gears unfotunately as that would have been a TPS sensor. Checked with my OBD2 reader and the output showed a pretty good reading for voltage.

I would attach a quality datalogger/scanner and monitor the results for a few test runs. I chased a similar issue for a month or two which turned out to be a fuzzy signal from the crank sensor. It was on a 2zz engine though.
For what it's worth, my son's 06 1zzFE Matrix had a similar issue that was cured by replacing the rubber intake manifold gasket. Hope this helps.
I have a and OBD2 reader that feeds me the live info and logs it. I will take a look at the crank sensor as i can measure the resistive values on that to see if it is within Toyota spec. I have also taken a look at the possibility of it being an intake manifold gasket leak. May i ask how you were lead to it being the intake manifold gasket?

·
Registered
518 Posts
It was awhile ago but I seem to remember that a Toyota tech suggested it when I was in buying parts and was chatting with him. I had already done all the "forum-solutions"... a new $12 OEM gasket fixed the issue. It's not hard to change on that engine either.
Same RPM issue doesn't diagnose to a worn TPS, just to a repeatable symptom.

101 - 114 of 113 Posts