NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the helical LSD and after reading your posts it seemed that you were familiar with this. I got it awhile ago. And at first I thought I felt a difference now, i do not. On one rainy day at a stop light. I took off suddenly and the wheels peeled off while the vehicle was staying still. I notice that with LSD it tends to do that. I rode in another guy's car who has turboed mr2 91 from a stop, he wot a turn and the tires peeled while it stayed in place for i'd say 10 secs or so. So I don't get how an LSD will give you better time at the track and allow for quick cornering?
I also tried a launch recently at 3k. I dumped the clutch. Instead of the car taking off, the lsd caused it to hestitate by making 3 jerk movement(3 clicks if you will) before taking off. So it seemed to hurt going fast.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Since the LSD allows the wheels to basically lock together when they begin to slip, you essentially get twice the traction that you would otherwise have without an LSD. Without the LSD, if one wheel begines to slip during your launch, more power is actually transmited to the wheel that has no traction so you basically launch with only one weak wheel instead of both.

The same principal is applied to cornering, the LSD keeps the power distributed to the tires that need it.

Work on your launch, with time you will develop a technique that works for you. Do you have a GTS or a GT? If you have a GTS, 3k seems awfully low for a launch. I launch my GTS at 6k with no wheel spin. I never dump, I always slip the clutch at least a little. And as far as your friends MR2 and your Celica in the rain is concerned, nothing on this planet is going to keep your tires from spinning if you send enough power to them or are driving on a slippery surface, but an LSD certainly helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts