NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well for a long time i didnt think much of mazda. Today i was going home from school, and i got on the highway, like always i am chilling checking out the ladies ya know all the good stuff and i hear this loud noise, i was like wtf it's too cold for somebody to drive a bike(i live in chicago) and then this car pulled right next time, f'n red rx7 i was like damn, i was like damn that shiiii is hot and i stared for like an hour it seemed like that and then guy took off i mean really took off and i was still looking in the distance, and i decided to buy the rx7. Something about that car, i mean i didnt think about the girls anymore all i could think about is that car. I am looking for one and hopefully i'll get a good deal. well tell me your opinions about this car. the cars i was looking at have 65-70 000 miles on them. I want the speed, i had my licence suspended 4 times so far and i am still speeding(not as fast as i want to be going). I want to hear your opinions, what do you think honestly. would you buy a car that is 94 with 65 000 for 17 000. I can still hear that noise :)!!!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
thiis has been discussed a lot.. esp during ArchangelX's time while he was picking out his next car.. im sure he'll write u a big essay or something.. wait for him to reply

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
My friend just picked up a '93 Touring Model and I'll say this...you better have more money to spare than the cost of the car.

Right now my friend is running ZERO boost. We hooked up a boost gauge and checked the boost pattern because it seemed amazingly weak. Kerplut...nada, nothing, zerooo. So first thing, check for the boost pattern of like 10-8-10 @ 4500rpm with WOT.

He's going to have to get all the hoses replaced which is kinda a PITA if you actually look.

Also there's other things like replacing the Y-pipe because there's this plastic coupler that break. Not to mention when I was looking at everything I noticed in completely stock configuration the water pump belt was rubbing on one of the large intake hoses to the airbox. Oh ya, we also found oil inside his Y-pipe and IC. We think his stock twins are gone, he's been leaking a bit oil and now we know why. His car has only 53K miles!

I could go on and on about how bad the cooling system is and how you could end up spending $2200 on a V-mount Radiator/IC etc. But instead I'll say you better have a lot of extra money and/or be mechanically inclined.

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
143hawaii said:
My friend just picked up a '93 Touring Model and I'll say this...you better have more money to spare than the cost of the car.

I could go on and on about how bad the cooling system is and how you could end up spending $2200 on a V-mount Radiator/IC etc. But instead I'll say you better have a lot of extra money and/or be mechanically inclined.
Man, obviously..he didn't do his homework, there bud. You just don't go buy one without doing some research.

He was asking for it. I do agree with you that you need to want to get your hands dirty, though, but he sure as heck should've checked the compression and the boost pattern BEFORE he bought it. Shot himself in the foot with that one. How much did he pay for it? Most people wouldn't pay more than 10k for a car like that, simply because you're going to have to replace the turbos which are 3k a pop new.

Okay..now for the real post. Chicago Celica...go here FIRST:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/buying.html

Read it, and understand it. You have to know what you're doing when it comes to buying a 7. If it's been abused and not taken care of, you will have problems with it. If someone has ran it into the ground, and hasn't babied it, then it's like playing russian roulette.

Both of these sites will inform you of the intricacies of owning a 7:

http://www.rx7turboturbo.com/robrobinette/

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/index.html

Make sure you read all you can about the 7, before you go out and try and buy one.

And here are some links that mirrors own experiences of buying a 7....you can see there are alotta opinions even from the 7 owners:

http://www.rx7club.com/forum/search...d=598940&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

And you can check out the progress of my car being rebuilt and modified:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69252

Let me say that the 7 is not for a 17 year old without a job, no money, and no clue about engines.

I'm thoroughly enjoying my rebuild process (even though I'm dying cuz I don't have it)...and am anxiously drooling over the thought of getting behind the wheel of it.

I should be running mid to high 12's, possible low 13's(I suck at RWD right now) with the modifications you'll see on my car at stock boost. The 7 is a majestic car....owning one is a delight.

Don't let the mags fool you....there is another Japanese supercar here in America, and it's called the RX-7.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am definately buy the car, thanks ArchangelX you've helped me a lot. good luck with your rebuilding and your racing. all the work you are doing is going to pay off in the end. Once again thanks a lot!!!

dan

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Arch, there's a few things to consider for us in particular.

1) We live in Hawaii where most cars are more rare than on the mainland. We can't just be choosy and lookup cars on xcars.com or ebay.com. We get what we can. For example, 3rd Gen RX-7s, 2nd Gen MR2 Turbos, etc. are all hard to find. A 3rd Gen RX-7 comes around maybe once or twice a year in the papers.

2) The owner has a LOT of buyers who were on his butt ready to grab it. It was bone stock. I did a CarFax for him and he was the only owner comming from Cali. And it "checked out ok." He wanted to check the boost pattern (He knew about this) except the buyer wanted to sell his car ASAP and ppl were ready to buy ASAP. The car only had 53k miles so he thought, "I'll risk it!"

3) He did have extra money saved. But the fact he has to do all of this stuff to a BONE STOCK car is what my friends and I think is messed up. He expected it, I just think it's weird.

4) He browses all the boards and he said not to worry about the twins cause one of the board owners is selling his twins since he's converted to a single. I think he said he's gonna pick it up for a couple hundred.

I told him he should try trading his car to this guy with a MR2-T (but then again I'm a bit biased, hehe). He refuses to and wants to stick it through. I'll admit the sound of that car starting up is music to the ears. But right now that car has no balls and serious problems. I told him to race me now :D

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
A quote that pretty much says it all from one of the most trusted RX-7 sites on the net:

Remember, for a combined total of under $600 in reliablility upgrades (if you do most of the work yourself), you can have a bulletproof rotary rocket capable of embarassing some very exotic machinery. There is no need to be afraid of the car. It just requres proper preparation, that although is not required for you basic Honda, will put a huge smile on your face when you put it through its paces. As you surf the web, take a look at the enthusiasm you see in the (many) RX-7 websites you'll see. Racers, engineers and other technically oriented types are HIGHLY represented among the ranks of owners. People love the car for a reason, and these people wouldn't be so dedicated to the model if it wasn't so special.
G'luck...CC, just make sure you do some reading...and thanks!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'll tell my friend that ;)

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
Bwhahah..that might not might not apply for him I suppose. :( :gap:

And ya..I know all about Hawaii..my wife is from there, I was there for four years, and I visit two times a year.

And everyone owns Corollas. :chuckles:

But seriously...sometimes..ya just gotta sit back and say NO..no matter how good the deal is or how much you like the car. It only costs 900-1200 bucks to ship from Cali to HI. He might have saved some cash doing it that way. There's tons of FDs in California..most of them either rebuilt or in great shape.

A shame that assholes can lie to someone like that....I NEVER have done that when I sold my last three cars. It's just not right. Bastiches. Sounds like a Supra owner. :rolleyes: (just kidding to the Supra owners out there, sorta).

When you have demand from buyers, most people don't give a rat's ass about what's wrong with it, and sell it without a care.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Corollas? Haha!

Ya, I guess there's a lot of them but I think there's wayy more Civics and Tegs making noise around town. Of late the "import car scene" has been booming. People are modifying practically anything and everything you can think of.

I told my friend to do the same but considering he'd want to see the car in person and get it checked out, it'd cost a bit more. about $400-500 roundtrip ticket, about $1k to ship the car, not to mention he wouldn't know where to go to have it shipped, he doesn't know the area too well, he wouldn't know where to look for a RX-7, and he wouldn't know who he could trust to have it checked out. He'd also need to a car and somewhere to stay while he figures it all out.

·
Registered
695 Posts
insurance is gonna kick your ass

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hepnotic said:
insurance is gonna kick your ass
Yep, my friend's insurance on his FD is less than both my Celica and MR2-S.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts