NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mid-America Motorplex drag strip had its grand opening last night outside Omaha, NE. First the bad.

There were some awesome races, but the place itself was handled extremely poorly. I kid you not here...the parking lot was almost all mud, and several cars got stuck just driving around to find a place to stop. The tech and race lines were the same freakin' line, and the line backed up to the point where people coming in to park and watch couldn't move. The exit out of the parking lot was the same as the entrance, so it was almost impossible to get out until you waited almost 15 minutes for a space to open from the cars coming in.

Don't get me started on the track itself. Has anyone ever seen a lighting tree that you set (two white lights for both lanes), then immediately goes to green without any countdown/timing lights?? I would say 1/3 of all cars racing were caught off guard by this and response time was horrible (notice in vids on a couple of them) due to this POS system.

ZERO lighting at the end of the track. Watch the vids and you'll see what I mean. I swear I'm not making this up. There were two guys at the end of the track with *flashlights* to signal when the cars should slow down, so they didn't run into the big sand pit at the end. So guess what happened? Yep, several cars took the big dive and totally screwed up their fronts. One Jeep actually rolled over. Thank god he only hurt his leg and was able to walk away.

If someone asks if you want to head out to MAM, for God sake don't support them with your money until they get their act together. Apparently opening on-time and getting their money was more important than delaying a couple weeks and caring more about people's safety. Supposedly this is NHRA-endorsed. I'd love to know who to contact to let them know what's actually happening over there.

And now the good :D The jet car was definitely the highlight. I swear I thought an F-16 was on a runway this thing was so freakin' loud. There's no way you can know unless you were there. This was a 1/8 mile track, and here's the jet car's figures:

5.08+ secs
154mph

:eek:

Here's some vid links:

http://members.cox.net/andersoncagadas/mam4.wmv
Civic vs. TT RX-7 (sorry Arch) :D

http://members.cox.net/acagadas/mam7.wmv
Celica vs. Jeep (the one that somersaulted, though you won't see it)

http://members.cox.net/andersoncagadas/mam3.wmv
TransAm vs. Camaro

http://members.cox.net/dee5330/mam8.wmv
Jet Car --- Now that's what I call some nitrous :thumbup:

·
Banned
798 Posts
wait a second..the track is only 1/8 miles..its not a 1/4 mile track..and also this cant be nhra endorsed if there was that many screwed up things there....how did the jet car slow down before the end...i guess in nebraska they need to learn how to build good tracks then...i guerss here near ny we got blessed with one fot he most popular tracks in the country... englishtown raceway park...heheh...i cant wait till the road corse opens...its gonna driftintime witht he supra ..no mroe worries about drifting and having a car coming head on at you ona 2 lane twisty road...thats not a good feeling

ghost

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as the Jet car went, it only ran for about 1/16 of a mile then shut down and dropped parachute, and the track is good its just that MAM owners rushed getting in opening day, they sacraficed some things in the quality department, btw thanks Dee, I finally got a veiw of me owning that Camaro...

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
I'm not offended by the civic...lol...that wasn't even a dragrace..lol..what was their times? They didn't even get on it. :thumbdown:

Sounds like that track absolutely SUCKED, that night.

It kinda looked like a track in the middle of a mudhole. :chuckles:

Obviously, poor planning, and for ANYTHING like that to have happened...that's just sheer craziness. Accidents like those can get their licenses revoked. A shame..that was a nice Jeep. :AF:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's basically exactly what it was... a big mudhole. And a long-ass gravel road with rocks flying all over the place just to reach the place.

I think this place really has potential, but until they start prioritizing safety over greed, I won't be giving them any more of my money. If they really work at it, though..we'll see I guess.

I was just tryin' to get you riled up, Arch :) The first thing I said when I saw that was that the RX-7 shouldn't even be racing if he's just gonna baby the damn thing. Maybe it was an automatic :chuckles: I wouldn't discount the civic, though. It hauled ass several times.

Cool link, GTSnut!

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
gachamann said:
That's basically exactly what it was... a big mudhole. And a long-ass gravel road with rocks flying all over the place just to reach the place.

I think this place really has potential, but until they start prioritizing safety over greed, I won't be giving them any more of my money. If they really work at it, though..we'll see I guess.

I was just tryin' to get you riled up, Arch :) The first thing I said when I saw that was that the RX-7 shouldn't even be racing if he's just gonna baby the damn thing. Maybe it was an automatic :chuckles: I wouldn't discount the civic, though. It hauled ass several times.

Cool link, GTSnut!
Thanks. That's my race club that I founded and now is growing on it's own. I have since moved, and am starting up an east coast chapter since the midwestern is so succesful.

Most of the club members were at that track that night and were saying how much of a joke it was. These are guys that race all the time and thought it would be something to try out given the number of race activities that are close by are slim to none. Well, they were just as upset about the whole thing as you. One of our members owns that white Celica that messed up his front end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some good vids of the night, I really like that jet engine. Pretty sweet! Glad I didn't go though, my car would have gotten fawked up and probably stuck as well with my bald ass tires :D

edit: word filtering:gay:

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
ToXXic Trans Am said:
As far as the Jet car went, it only ran for about 1/16 of a mile then shut down and dropped parachute, and the track is good its just that MAM owners rushed getting in opening day, they sacraficed some things in the quality department, btw thanks Dee, I finally got a veiw of me owning that Camaro...
Good kill :cool:

·
Registered
560 Posts
no prob jay!! i was happy to see you whoop on some ass!! made me feel all tingly inside cuz those nitto's 555r's stuck on the ground so well. can't wait to get mine installed this week. hopefully i'll still be here for the 29th to test out these suckers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts