NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and have a 2001 gts that is primarily a track car. i removed the power steering pump and looped the lines, but am wondering if there is any source for a proper manual rack. There are a couple of discussion on here but they are several years old. Is this a topic worth reviving ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did some research and never found a manual rack that would fit. Though I did find a guy saying you should take the rack apart, remove the seals (maybe just the one at the steering shaft) and grease everything.

How does your car drive with no p/s. Painful at parking lot speeds?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no more painful that a 40 yr old truck with 3 on the tree. greasing the seals seems silly when they are bathed in hydraulic fluid. if you loop the lines as i did turning the wheels pushes fluid around keeping everything lubed and protected from corrosion. the truck-like performance in the parking lot is rough, but the direct feel of the steering when pushing a 4 wheel drift through a 4th gear sweeper is worth it. i would definitely say keep the power steering in place for a street car. i'm glad i increased steering feel and mechanical simplicity but i still think a true manual rack would be even better on the track than my setup.

·
Registered
2001 Carbon blue GTS 6SPEED POWER FC
2 Posts
What type of racing you do? I’ve been debating whether or not I should delete mine. I do track attack circuit and drag with my GTS and I know for drag is the way to go but for circuit track attack I’m not too sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my car is used for road course hpde's. i would say if your car is still used for street driving, leave the ps on there. backing out of a parking spot or pulling into the driveway is really not fun at all. a true manual rack would have a better ratio between steering input and wheel movement as well as significant reduction in internal friction.

·
Registered
2001 Carbon blue GTS 6SPEED POWER FC
2 Posts
I don't daily it its just my "track car". I guees I'll give it a try just skipping the p/s pump

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is an interesting concept.
I’ll be doing a lot of thread resurrection, which I hate, but if the OP is still about, by looping the hoses is it easier to steer or same as when the engine is switched off?

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would estimate it's the same as with key turned off. for a track car the reduction in complexity and increase in direct feedback is nice, but the steering effort is high. and parking lot maneuvering is not one-hand possible at all. i have driven miatas with factory manual steering and the effort was much easier, while not giving up the mechanical simplicity and direct feedback.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok cool thanks. As we use it for endurance racing, 2-3 hour driving stints the ease of steering might be better.. a 10 lap sprint would definitely benefit. Thank you.. I wondered if the oil in the loop might be a bonus. Perhaps I will think more about a reduction gear set up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts