NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a dilemna. I've been a big fan of the celica forever. My dads first new car was a 77 celica GT liftback that lasted until the mid 90's where it rusted out (ran fine). I wanted to get a new celica to replace my infiniti G20, wanted a hatch again and wanted something a little sporty..like the g20 (they come sr powered and 140hp 5spd lsd factory and run 15's 1/4)

I figured the celica would be a good match. However, i'd like to keep the price down to 12k ish range and celica's are just plain hard to find with low (<65k or so) miles and not to mention i'm worried about the dreaded lift bolts.

So my question is, after all this rambling, how much slower is the Matrix 6spd XRS? There are bunches in my area 03-05 6spd with <50k miles ASKING 13k. I'm a fairly good negotiator and could get this easily in my price range.

I just don't want to get one if its dog slow. My g20 is quick enough, 0-60 in low 7's and 1/4 in 15's (have header and exhaust on it) so in that ball park would be fine. I've seen varying reports on the matrix xrs on car and driver and scc.

thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
The xrs's are not much slower. And dont be afraid about the lift bolts, your car isnt going to explode from a broken lift bolt. I think that all 2003+ 2ZZGE'S use the newer style lift bolts however have a lower rev limiter and higher lift engagement in the celica's. Rod bearings and syncros are the true problems with the 1zzfe, 2zzge and c60 transmissions. Test drive the xrs and gts and buy which ever one is more practical/fun for you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
just take your time you should be able to find a gt-s within your price range. I found mine almost 3 years ago with 65K for 13,500. It just took a while to find it.

·
Banned
816 Posts
I got my GTS 6 speed fully loaded from a dealer for only $14k (with only 28k miles), so I'm sure you can find a GTS with less than 60k miles in your price range. Just be patient and keep looking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts