NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mazda's rotary engine stalled, not forgotten
Development of the next-generation rotary engine from Mazda Motor Corp., first unveiled three years ago, is making slow progress despite missing emissions targets.

A top Mazda powertrain executive said today that the 1.6-liter rotary engine, called the 16X, is about 30 percent more fuel-efficient than the current rotary engine used in the RX-8 sporty car.

In fact, the 16X so far performs slightly better than Mazda's standard two-liter gasoline engine, said Mitsuo Hitomi, general manager of the Japanese carmaker's powertrain division.

But the engine is at least one model year behind schedule because of problems hitting emissions reduction targets. And Hitomi concedes it's still not ready for production.

“Maybe within two years we can tell you when we will introduce it to the market,” he said.

When unveiled at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show, the 16X featured an enlarged elliptical shape for the combustion chamber and an enlarged eccentric center stroke in the rotor. Mazda also planned direct-injection fuel delivery in a rotary engine for the first time.

But the project moved to the back burner during the global financial crisis as Mazda diverted more resources to developing the new line of fuel-efficient SkyActiv engines, which debut next year.

Despite the rotary engine's delay and swirling rumors about its future, Mazda says dropping the program isn't an option.

Said Hitomi: “We will never give up.”

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
^ He rocks that sig every Halloween, and I like the Cayman but I'd like a 911 Turbo (964) a lot more :gap:.
Technically the car you're referring to is called a 965

And its butt puckeringly sick - ass engine, rwd, turbo lag, giant turbo, mammoth power - that's a formula for a man with big, big balls.

·
Professional Carsmith
6,311 Posts
Technically the car you're referring to is called a 965

And its butt puckeringly sick - ass engine, rwd, turbo lag, giant turbo, mammoth power - that's a formula for a man with big, big balls.
Alright I've gotten into many an argument over this. I am by no means a professional at this and suck at nomenclature in general (I use the terms diddly-bob and dingle-dangle a lot) but I was pretty well convinced that the car I'm talking about was a turbo version of the 964. I wiki'd it (for whatever that's worth) and this is what it has to say:

In 1990 Porsche introduced a Turbo version of the 964 series. This car is sometimes mistakenly called 965 (this type number actually referred to a stillborn project that would have been a hi-tech turbocharged car in the vein of the 959). For the 1991 and 1992 model years, Porsche produced the 964 Turbo with the 930's proven 3.3L engine, improved to produce 320hp.
Anyway, I'm not trying to argue I'm just curious lol. And yes, I got the chance to race against one and then ride in it and it was AMAZING. The way the thing can barrel into a turn is insane.

·
Super Moderator
43,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update!

Mazda: No New V-6, and the Rotary Lives
Rotaries, Plural

When asked how Skyactiv squares with a revived rotary, Davis told us to expect many of the same core technologies to be applied: reduced internal friction, reduced rotating mass, and more-efficient transmissions. He mentioned that a new rotary is being explored for applications where it would drive the wheels as well as those for which it would drive an electric generator. The smoothness of a rotary and its low weight are advantages for this role, while its relative lack of torque wouldn’t be a problem. We are reassured that Mazda sees the rotary as part of the company’s soul.

No New V-6 Planned

Davis also told us that Mazda isn’t working on a V-6 for its Skyactiv portfolio. The 6 sedan and CX-9 currently offer six-cylinders (optional on the Mazda 6 and standard on the CX-9); the new, lighter 6 will make do with four-cylinders (we also expect a hybrid version of the next 6, while Davis says a new CX-9, which would be lighter as well, could get power and good fuel economy from a boosted four-cylinder. So for now, Mazda is concentrating on developing four-cylinders as well as the aforementioned rotary.

·
Theoretical Gear Head
754 Posts
He mentioned that a new rotary is being explored for applications where it would drive the wheels as well as those for which it would drive an electric generator. The smoothness of a rotary and its low weight are advantages for this role, while its relative lack of torque wouldn’t be a problem.
Slick. Great idea. Makes much more sense than using a reciprocating engine as an electric generator. Best of both worlds between a turbine and reciprocating mill. Smart move. Hope to see it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts