NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, finally decided to wash, polish, and wax my car since I bought a buffer and it wouldnt take me 10 hours anymore.

I did a little research on what products are available, and found that the best for Price/Quality was the Meguiars Deep Crystal System. I also picked up a Meguiars Clay Bar and Quick Detailer, along with Gold Class car wash. I picked up everything for around $50, which is way less than that of a new paint job. And the Meguiars products were cheaper than many others.

Other tools I used include-

- 100% Wool Wash Mit
- Microfiber Cloths
- 100% Cotton Terry Cloths
- Ryobi 6" Random Orbital Buffer.
- 100% Cotton applicator pad.
The system consists of 3 products;

Step 1 - Paint Cleaner
Step 2 - Polish
Step 3 - Wax

First, I washed the car using the Gold Class car wash, it is a really good soap to use as it helps sheet the water rather than pool up in balls. I used a regular garden hose spray adapter to wash it with and used the Wool Mit to scrub. It is a good idea to constantly rinse off the mit in the bucket, otherwise you will contaminate the paint further and debris will scratch the paint. I dried it off with a couple of MicroFiber cloths.

After the wash, I went ahead and clayed the car. The clay (Megiuars) picked up a lot more dirt and grime than I thought it would, it also smoothed out some areas that were covered in road grime and tree sap.

After clay, I applied the paint cleaner by hand. Usually clay will work fine and this step shouldn't be neccessary, but since my car is black, I thought it worthwile. The cars paint had a lot of small hairline scratches and swirl marks. It looked good from 20' away, but up close it looked horrible. The cleaner helped to get rid of a lot of the swirls that were in the paint and also any residual wax was removed. This step will take some time, and the most important part of it is not to let the liquid dry, if it does, apply some more over the top and wipe off.

Next step was the Polish. The polish is meant to add a "Just washed" shine to the car. This is a pretty good polish for about $7 a bottle. I used the same technique as I did in the previous step, however, I went over some areas (Hood, Front bumper, doors) twice to help get the swirls out all the way. The Meguiars polish is a true abrasive that will removed small light scratches from clear coat. After this was complete, before wax, you could already tell the improvement in the paint.

Next up was wax. For this I decided to use the buffer since it would help cut down a lot of time. The Meguiars wax in this kit was a liquid. And it smells like bananas. I put extra wax on the hood, bumpers and behind the wheels to help protect the paint. The wax went on easy and dried very fast. Buffed off easier than I thought (this was the first time I used a powered buffer).

After it was all said and done, I took a step back and marveled at my job. It looked much better than it did when I bought it, and much better than most new black cars. It was definetly worth the money. And only took about 4 hours start-finish.

Total it cost me about $55 for the 3-Step system, Clay, Soap, Wash Mit terry cloths, and applicator pads. But I still have plenty of everything laying around so in a few months I wont have to spend anything to do it again. IMHO, it is well worth the time and money if you want to keep your paint looking good, but don't do shows.

I'd post pics, but the car is already dirty due to construction.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Suggestion for you; apply the paint cleaner and polishes with the machine and do the wax by hand. (need a machine applicator pad for each product) You will achieve much better results using far less time and effort that way. The machine is able to break down the polish so much faster than you can manually. Plus a hand wax takes almost no effort once the car is prepped well.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bme107 said:
Suggestion for you; apply the paint cleaner and polishes with the machine and do the wax by hand. (need a machine applicator pad for each product) You will achieve much better results using far less time and effort that way. The machine is able to break down the polish so much faster than you can manually. Plus a hand wax takes almost no effort once the car is prepped well.

I was considering doing that. But at the time, I only had one set of pads. Plus the RO Buffer I have is only 3600 RPM's.

Im planning on trying it again in a few weeks, just to get more polish into the paint.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
that three step system is horrible IMO. I've used that and many other stuff already. What bme107 said is right. You will be even more suprised with a rotary buffer(not the cheap 15 bucks one). Most over the counter products don't impress me at all. You should try to use other brands such as Zaino, Poorboys, Klasse. Megs professional series and 3m bodyshop series are nice stuff too.

Next time, i would suggest with this set up to compare with the one you used.
1. Megs nxt car wash
2. Mothers claybar
3. Your choice of abrasive polish depending on condition of paint(scratches, swirls etc.)
4. Klasse All in one acrylic polish (machine)
5. Zaino Synthetic wax (machine)
6. Zaino Pure Carnuba wax (hand)

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
LowcarbonBLue said:
that three step system is horrible IMO.
Everybody starts some where. I think I have a 90% full bottle of megs step 1 and mothers step 2 and countless number of the never opened mini bottles of step 1 that come with a clay bar.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LowcarbonBLue said:
that three step system is horrible IMO. I've used that and many other stuff already. What bme107 said is right. You will be even more suprised with a rotary buffer(not the cheap 15 bucks one). Most over the counter products don't impress me at all. You should try to use other brands such as Zaino, Poorboys, Klasse. Megs professional series and 3m bodyshop series are nice stuff too.

Next time, i would suggest with this set up to compare with the one you used.
1. Megs nxt car wash
2. Mothers claybar
3. Your choice of abrasive polish depending on condition of paint(scratches, swirls etc.)
4. Klasse All in one acrylic polish (machine)
5. Zaino Synthetic wax (machine)
6. Zaino Pure Carnuba wax (hand)

I think im going to stick with what I've got.

It looks good as it is, but i don't feel the need to spend soo much to have it looking show car good.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
techgeekwill said:
I think im going to stick with what I've got.

It looks good as it is, but i don't feel the need to spend soo much to have it looking show car good.

oh ok, just thought i would help. Just remember using synthetic wax last a lot longer for a daily driver than a carnuba wax since you are not going for show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts