NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i hear people talking about misshifting all the time and they say if you do misshift at highspeeds you can bend your valves and many other things can go wrong. well my question is this:
How can you know that you have bent valves? any sings? and what else go wrong if you do mis shift. but my main concern are VALVES!! and if you do have bent valves how much is it to fix them.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Dan

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm a misshift victim, and i'll tell you this much... usually when you misshift, parts other than valves get broken! When I misshifted, my check engine and check oil lights went on... and my car ran like sh*t! It turned out that my oil pump exploded and I bent a few valves! I was lucky because my warranty covered everything, but I was without my car for a good 2 months!!! Anyway, the ended up installing a new shortblock and they reconditioned my head! They said that the repairs were close to $7,500!

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
Welps..your motor will sound like crap....your car will die only after a few seconds of starting it, if it even starts at all. If you've broken a rod, you'll hear a rattling sound with every revolution, and your power will be greatly diminished.

It will cost an arm and a leg to fix it, too....and even if they do fix it...most of the Toyota shops I've seen screw it up, and your car never runs right again.

It almost sounds like you're planning on it, bro?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh i am always planning on everything but hopefully that doesnt happen. well i the reason asked is because i mis shifted few times and my car is same as it was before. it runs same nothing noticable, it doesnt shake or anything like that , but it is a little bit louder nothing serious but when i got the car it was quiet and now it's little bit louder, but like i said it's nothing noticable maybe it's because i've been driving the car for a long time. well i guess there is nothing for me to worry. i never got a check engine light so far...thank god, but even if i do get it my new car is coming soon!!!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i have come close to a complete miss shift before but i caught myself before i let the clutch all the way out and put it into neutral really fast....very glad i didnt kill my engine

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
my car didnt run at all after it blew up, bent ALL of my valves, 0 compression, totalled out the entire engine.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ChicagoCELICA,

I believe that the mis-shift issue has been greatly diminished in the 2002 and 2003 models, due to revised shift gates. I rarely see a mis-shift topic here anymore, whereas in '00 and '01, there was ALWAYS one posted on the first page of "General Discussion".

What happens when you mis-shift?

Well, remember that dealership that "screwed you over", so you STOLE parts from a car in their lot late at night.... :rolleyes:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70026

·
North East OG member
12,472 Posts
DnDs00GTS said:
I'm a misshift victim, and i'll tell you this much... usually when you misshift, parts other than valves get broken! When I misshifted, my check engine and check oil lights went on... and my car ran like sh*t! It turned out that my oil pump exploded and I bent a few valves! I was lucky because my warranty covered everything, but I was without my car for a good 2 months!!! Anyway, the ended up installing a new shortblock and they reconditioned my head! They said that the repairs were close to $7,500!
this is the EXACT thing that happen to me!!! the only difference is i didn't blow mine up

ArchangelX said:
It will cost an arm and a leg to fix it, too....and even if they do fix it...most of the Toyota shops I've seen screw it up, and your car never runs right again.
well this is what's happend to me. the dealer screwed it up while puting back so i got problems every other month or so. now i got a whole new(w/ 9k miles) motor from a wrecked celi

·
Registered
134 Posts
Some people say they misshift but caught it or didnt do anything. From what I understand if you misshift your engine blows otherwise you didnt misshift.

If you misshift for even a second the damage is done, the valves, pistons are moving hard at 8000rpm and to go to the wrong gear for about a second well, the human body just cant react fast enough to stop the damage.

Am I missing something or is there another way to misshift?

·
Registered
125 Posts
haha, i mishifted my 2000 prelude 4 times and never had any problems.

·
Registered
201 Posts
ok, misshifting usually occurs when your on the 3-4 shift, but u drop it in second instead, thats a misshift, now depending how fst your going when this occurs, there will be damage, for instance i did it going 90 at the track, and i have no engine, all valves gone no compression, maybe tranny too, we still dont know for sure. but if you drop it in second going 55 your prolly ok, see the limiter will help you there, but at higher speeds it puts too much load on the limiter/motor, and creates too much compression, and the valves start to bend.

hope this helps

·
Registered
154 Posts
I read somewhere that there's a test you can do with a dollar bill at your muffler. I can't remember exactly what is involved, but basically if the bill gets sucked into your muffler, your valves are bent.
Oh and obviously don't let the bill get sucked all the way in there.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't even know how this is possible. If I try to shift into a gear at a speed that is inappropriate, the stick wont go. I have accidentally done this (shift into third instead of fifth) when accelerating, but I catch myself cause the tranny wont shift.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I got lucky. I almost misshifted. Matter of fact i would have misshifted if it wasn't for properly tightened down flywheel bolts from a local speed shop in my area.

Since they did not tighten down the bolts they sheered off and the clutch never engaged. This was a shift from redline in 3rd into 2nd.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
i think there should be a whole section in this forum for misshifting info. Like a support group. :wtc: for those of us who had lived the bad experince.

·
Registered
417 Posts
my bent valve problem resulted over a period of time.
i misshift about 3 times when i first got my car but none real bad.
but one day under normal driving my check engin lite came on. and i dident notice a drop in power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts