NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I was driving my GTS today and it was running fine. I pulled off to get something cold to drink and when I started my car back up, it kind of stumbled for about 5 seconds and then smoothed out.

I didn't think much of it and continued driving to my friends house. We'll, I drove it for about 3 more miles and then arived at my friends. The car ran fine the entire time and didn't give me any type of CEL.

I was at my friends for about three hours and when I was leaving and starting my car, it did the exact same sputter/misfire thing happened again. It cleaned out and as I drove away...maybe 20 seconds after initial startup....the CEL light came on and stayed on. The car runs perfectly fine, but I have yet to try and restart it again.

Anyone have any idea what this might be. It just happened, so I'm a little unsure what is going on. I have cleaned the maf sensor and the IAC already, so I know that isn't it. The car is all stock too. I have 3/4 tank of gas and have never mis-shifted too. It's a 2001 GT-S 6speed.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
767 Posts
do you smell gas and how many miles do you have? you might need new spark plugs....my celica had the same problem..got new plugs and it was fine...also it could be the injectors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by CelicaGTSRacer
do you smell gas and how many miles do you have? you might need new spark plugs....my celica had the same problem..got new plugs and it was fine...also it could be the injectors.

No smell of gas, I have about 70k miles, and just changed the plugs about 5k miles ago. Denso IK20's. I was thinking about having my injectors flowed and cleaned....any suggestions or ideas anyone?

·
Registered
572 Posts
rent an obd-II (onboard diagnostics). it will tell u if there's a sensor not functioning properly. (when there's a CEL, it will usually find something) i had to pay 199 for one, but they gave me all the $ back when i returned it. champion or napa could prolly help u. hope this helps.

-aaron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by branizzle
rent an obd-II (onboard diagnostics). it will tell u if there's a sensor not functioning properly. (when there's a CEL, it will usually find something) i had to pay 199 for one, but they gave me all the $ back when i returned it. champion or napa could prolly help u. hope this helps.

-aaron
Thank you, I might try that out tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where can I get this done at besides the dealer? I've heard that Autozone doesn't do this anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, I cleaned the MAF again today and reset the ECU. (Now my hands stink, yuck).

Anyway, I went to the store to buy some shoes and it drove fine without a CEL. On the way back, I was sitting at a light and it seemed as though it just stop firing on one or two cylinders. I gave it some gas and it appeared to "clean out" and then idled and ran just fine without doing it again. Although I was only about a mile from my house when it did that. Any ideas?

I'm curious if I got a bad plug or something. They're about 5K miles old, but maybe I got a bad set???

Any ideas....anyone?

Boosted? Red01gts? Blue Bomber? Anyone?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I had a similar problem and it turned out that I had dirt in my fuel injectors. After cleaning them it all went away.

You need to get an obdII scanner and see what the cel's or pendings are than you'll know where the problem is.
I think it's a great investment and not too expensive (around $160 for a decent one)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by mrtomcat
I had a similar problem and it turned out that I had dirt in my fuel injectors. After cleaning them it all went away.

You need to get an obdII scanner and see what the cel's or pendings are than you'll know where the problem is.
I think it's a great investment and not too expensive (around $160 for a decent one)
How did you clean them? I've heard that RC Engineering does a good job, but I don't have that kinda cash right now. I also don't trust fuel injector cleaners....any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I had this same exact problem... Turned out that I fell under a TSB for replacement of all fuel injectors and a new ECM. Dealer took care of it all, and was covered by a Federal Emissions Warranty (80K Miles).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Originally posted by 2001SilverGTS
I had this same exact problem... Turned out that I fell under a TSB for replacement of all fuel injectors and a new ECM. Dealer took care of it all, and was covered by a Federal Emissions Warranty (80K Miles).

Good call, I totally forgot about that. That was one of the first things they did to my car a week after I bought it. Had the random mis-fire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, it just comes and goes out of nowhere.

Do you think it's in the ECU too? That is odd.....

Are you sure that maybe my injectors are not just dirty?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If it just started happening out of nowhere, then try changing the plugs first.

I've heard of the IK20's going bad after a short stint at times....it just happens. If you want to go cheap, replace them with some copper ones. If it turns out that is your problem, then swap in a new set of IK20's.

I dislike injector cleaners as well, but Lucas makes a very good one that actually works! You might want to try that.

Also, RC does awesome work. Save up and have them clean/balance your injectors, you'll love the power of your car after that!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Originally posted by 2001SilverGTS
Any more info on this TSB. Does it affect GT's as well?

·
Registered
822 Posts
one way we figured out it was the injectors is again the odbII scanner, the Cel would say: "Injector 1 Misfired" since in my case it was 2 injectors we first switched the spark plugs around (maybe your gab's are off.....) and checked again. Later on we exchanged the fuel injectors and noticed that the misfires were travelling with the injectors, hence dirty or bad injector...
Boosted then cleaned them thouroughly (sorry I did not pay attention on how exactly) after that all was fine.
first thing you need to do get the codes scanned

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
What year is the car? The TSB is only for 2000 MY cars.

Where in Cali are you? If near LA I may be able to help you out. If you aren't close you need to get the codes read.

Anyways a couple questions.

Do you ever have an extended crank time when its cold, or only when its hot?

What codes do you have?

What did you gap the IK20s at?

Pull one the plugs and look at the color of the ceramic around the electrode. If possible post pictures of it , otherwise describe the color and if you see and shiny metallic dust or shalky residue and what color.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My car is an 2001

No extended crank times

Still don't know the codes yet, I reset the ECU again and it hasn't thrown a CEL, although it did stumble/misfire at a light for a second and then cleaned out again.

Gapped the plugs at .044" and rechecked them yesterday.

I looked at the plugs yesterday with my boyfriend and they seemed just off white with a hint of tan. No residue of any type. Isn't that ok?

I was entering the freeway yesterday and floored it and as I went from the second to third and let out the clutch it felt as though it stumbled or hesitated for a split second. Did the same thing on the third to forth shift.

Does that give you any thoughts?

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
beka91794 said:
My car is an 2001

No extended crank times

Still don't know the codes yet, I reset the ECU again and it hasn't thrown a CEL, although it did stumble/misfire at a light for a second and then cleaned out again.

Gapped the plugs at .044" and rechecked them yesterday.

I looked at the plugs yesterday with my boyfriend and they seemed just off white with a hint of tan. No residue of any type. Isn't that ok?

I was entering the freeway yesterday and floored it and as I went from the second to third and let out the clutch it felt as though it stumbled or hesitated for a split second. Did the same thing on the third to forth shift.

Does that give you any thoughts?
couple possibilities come to mind. The plugs sound fine. Could be ignition coil, could be VVTi, could be IAC. Better to get the codes checked first otherwise it will be a shot in the dark.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
Sometimes my celica when i start it cold the tach will jump from 1000 down to the lowest tick mark and back up again then when i drive off sometimes after a cold start it will start to go and then the tach will stick at 1000 rpm and i have to push in the clutch and let it back out before the car will go, it feels like a misfire but i dunno its been doing this randomly since i bought it two years ago

1 - 20 of 22 Posts