NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my last thread I posted pictures of what the diagnostic test read from my engine light. And as each week passes, my 01 Celica is running more and more rough. At first it was just hesitating to accelerate sometimes and the engine light would flash. Now it’s everyday where it flashes and it HATES accelerating at times, especially uphill. Like about 40 minutes ago, I left my moms driveway (it’s uphill sorta) and my car did NOT want to go at all. It wouldn’t even budge at first until I kept pressing the gas pedal. It really scared me at first. I just ordered new ignition coils, and I replaced my spark plugs yesterday. But I still don’t know if I would need anything else. I was thinking maybe I need a new ICM but then realized that if the ICM was bad, my car wouldn’t be running at all since the ICM helps your car start up/run. (Could be wrong). But anyways, if anyone has any tips or idea or even had this happen to your Celica, please comment and let me know. The photo I posted is how it looks when idling. (Very rough/shaky idling too)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Same people lerk in these forums. theres only 4 or 5 of us who are still around to help others ;)
Please do the repairs mentiond previously. I can throw darts at a board all day but without fixing the issues already diagnosed its a waste of brainpower.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you do any of the recommended repairs from the other thread or do you think a new thread will bring in new people?
I have the gasket shipping still and I have ignition coils shipping that should be here Friday. I can’t figure out if my ground cables are bad or not and I can’t fix my oil leak at all. My dad says that I should just get a new engine rather than a brand new timing cover gasket.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same people lerk in these forums. theres only 4 or 5 of us who are still around to help others ;)
Please do the repairs mentiond previously. I can throw darts at a board all day but without fixing the issues already diagnosed its a waste of brainpower.

2000 GTS Turbo
I haven’t had the chance to do any of the repairs yet cause I’m still waitin on the parts to get here :/

·
Registered
538 Posts
I understand but you have to realize the more times u ask the same things in different threads the same people try to help an get irritated because there help is being ignored. We cannot proceed trying to help untill whats wrong is fixed. And the longer you go the more damage is done. The longer u put off repairs the worse its going to get. Cut what what u dont need from ur life as far as expenses and fix ur car before ur walking to work.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand but you have to realize the more times u ask the same things in different threads the same people try to help an get irritated because there help is being ignored. We cannot proceed trying to help untill whats wrong is fixed. And the longer you go the more damage is done. The longer u put off repairs the worse its going to get. Cut what what u dont need from ur life as far as expenses and fix ur car before ur walking to work.

2000 GTS Turbo
Didnt think of it that way. My apologies and good thing I’m gettin it repaired Friday. Cant really help when my shipments get delayed but I’m tryin

·
Machman
6 Posts
So in my last thread I posted pictures of what the diagnostic test read from my engine light. And as each week passes, my 01 Celica is running more and more rough. At first it was just hesitating to accelerate sometimes and the engine light would flash. Now it’s everyday where it flashes and it HATES accelerating at times, especially uphill. Like about 40 minutes ago, I left my moms driveway (it’s uphill sorta) and my car did NOT want to go at all. It wouldn’t even budge at first until I kept pressing the gas pedal. It really scared me at first. I just ordered new ignition coils, and I replaced my spark plugs yesterday. But I still don’t know if I would need anything else. I was thinking maybe I need a new ICM but then realized that if the ICM was bad, my car wouldn’t be running at all since the ICM helps your car start up/run. (Could be wrong). But anyways, if anyone has any tips or idea or even had this happen to your Celica, please comment and let me know. The photo I posted is how it looks when idling. (Very rough/shaky idling too)
View attachment 54808 View attachment 54809 View attachment 54810 View attachment 54814 View attachment 54811 View attachment 54812 View attachment 54813
Hi Spectral Blue GTS, I had a code: random cylinder misfire on my '02 GTS and wasn't sure what it could be
as it didn't detect which cylinder. I read some posts and concluded it was a dirty mass air flow sensor. Easy
fix with a $7 can of CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner. I would try that first. No need to replace the sensor, just clean it. Make sure to allow the sensor to dry for at least 30 minutes to an hour before driving. Good lick and let me know if that helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Spectral Blue GTS, I had a code: random cylinder misfire on my '02 GTS and wasn't sure what it could be
as it didn't detect which cylinder. I read some posts and concluded it was a dirty mass air flow sensor. Easy
fix with a $7 can of CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner. I would try that first. No need to replace the sensor, just clean it. Make sure to allow the sensor to dry for at least 30 minutes to an hour before driving. Good lick and let me know if that helps.
I’ll definitely try that! Thank you so much! Any idea where they’re located?

·
Machman
6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has it been Friday yet????

Or when you said Friday , did you mis-type and mean August?
Also, I have a new problem. Way different than everything else. I filled up my tank last night (it ran just fine to the gas station). I turned the car off, filled her up, then I started my car and it started but immediately died a few seconds after. I did it two more times and it died again. I called my mom (I was right down the road from her house) and I waited til she got to me to try it again (only took her 3 minutes). As she got there, I started my car and it started this time (low idling again and shaking) but it didn’t die so I drove it around the parking lot and it didn’t do anything odd other than my current problems which you already know that I’m having.

·
Registered
538 Posts
That’s what I’m tryin to do. I got new ignition coils in my car yesterday evening. Just waitin for the other parts to arrive.
The first thing that should of been done is the valve cover gasket and the spark tube gaskets. With out that ur defeating the purpose of changing coils and plugs. Oil is leaking into ur tube where the plug and coil sits. There is a very high possibility ur coils wernt a problem but its a good thing to change them aslong as you didnt use a cheap aftermarket set of coils.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, I have a new problem. Way different than everything else. I filled up my tank last night (it ran just fine to the gas station). I turned the car off, filled her up, then I started my car and it started but immediately died a few seconds after. I did it two more times and it died again. I called my mom (I was right down the road from her house) and I waited til she got to me to try it again (only took her 3 minutes). As she got there, I started my car and it started this time (low idling again and shaking) but it didn’t die so I drove it around the parking lot and it didn’t do anything odd other than my current problems which you already know that I’m having.
I've had that happen to my 2000 GTS, I found out it wasn't my car, it was the gas. My problem started immediately after I filled up because I was near empty. So what I did was added Lucas octane booster and drove it until I finished the gas, it still ran rough, but not as bad and I just wanted to get rid of it. I always use Chevron 91 octane gas for my car, but that night I needed gas and I used what was available. I'll never make that mistake again. After I filled it up with my favorite gas, it ran smooth and had power, no issues after that. My friends told me that they ran across that problem too. It's not too common but it does happen when rain water finds its way down the storage tanks below the pumps.

·
Registered
2002 Celica GT
6 Posts
That’s what I’m tryin to do. I got new ignition coils in my car yesterday evening. Just waitin for the other parts to arrive.
Have you replaced the coils yet? I had this problem with my GT. First I replaced the spark plugs, issue was fixed. Then I had a cylinder 3 misfire some time ago, and found oil on the spark plug and coil. Replaced the coil and spark plug and now it runs fine.
Your coils could be burning out. Definitely change the valve cover gasket as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you replaced the coils yet? I had this problem with my GT. First I replaced the spark plugs, issue was fixed. Then I had a cylinder 3 misfire some time ago, and found oil on the spark plug and coil. Replaced the coil and spark plug and now it runs fine.
Your coils could be burning out. Definitely change the valve cover gasket as well.
I just found out I'm having nearly the same issues as you both,

Although I have 3/4 Spark Tubes with oil. That being said the monster who owned my baby before me left her sitting 5 years on hot asphalt, makes sense I'll have more leakaging than someone who has been on the forum since 2002

(This is a small novel on what I've learned in the past 5 months)

After the 90's Toyota got forced into a make money or die type of situation (as far as I can tell), and so they made a couple generations of cars that had sub-par performing sealers (a low quality process of refining the oils that made up the gaskets and adhesives would make sense since it would be cheaper/easier to get many out of a factory sooner).

Which means a re-build from the perspective of a keen and experienced mechanic/technician is required to be able to bring (especially) the earlier engines to get past 1 000 000 km.

I found an engine manual for a Corolla 1ZZ that details how to take the engine apart bit by bit, making sure the user knows what to use and how to be able to inspect any possible damage/defection. ANd I've been told by some of the NC gods that the only difference between the celica and corolla engines are an axle carrier mount. Something that is covered in this forum.

Damn I needed that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.