NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i accidently drop from 3rd to 2nd for a split second on accident and i mad redlined it. everything drives fine but when i slowed down to stop my engine killed. Took more then normal time to get it started again but it sounded fine. But now my engine idle in neutral is REALLY low and it gets close to killing when it just sitting there.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ummm, if he has a GTS and he was top of 3rd gear, going to 2nd gear by accident...I can see it being a HUGE deal as his rpm's would have spiked waaaay over 10 000rpm's.

Question is, what kind of car is it...GT or GTS? What speed were you going when it happened???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well being as i was close to 7000 rpm when i droped into 2nd yea i was way up in the redlines for like .5-1 second i popped it out right away.

this is a 2000 celica gt manuel.

I dont see any leaks, no weird smells and the car doesnt make any weird noises.

Now the check engine light came on.

The car idles at like 500 rpm and gets veyr close to killing and it fluctuates between 500-1000 rpm alot idling.

Could it be like a fuel pump or sumtin that got messed?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
sounds like you bent your valves. hunting idle like that usually indicates bent valves. Doesn't sound like you really broke too much, but you won't be able to tell until you take a look at the head etc. Take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Not likely but be sure to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes before you do to be sure that if you set a code when you over-revved it gets cleared out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE:

I left the car battery unplugged all night. Woke up , reconnected it started the car and let it idle for 10 minutes. Came back out and there was no CHECK ENGINE light on and it was idleing stable around 700-750 rpm.

Brought it into the shop and the tech to a very quick look and said it sounded find and didnt see anything wrong.

Raced my friend this morning and my car is performing exactly as it was before and no weird sounds.

anyways im gonna bring the car in monday for a in depth look by teh tech to be 100% sure nothings wrong.

Im praying bu ti think im alright.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
:ugh:

mike187, you should lay off the street racing for a while, at least long enough for you to get your car thoroughly checked out. Have you considered the possablility that if some thing is broken, hammering the car in a race could make it worse?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, was just a up to 6000rpm race....but yea prolly was dumb but i couldnt sleep till knew she was sumwhat ok. Now im pretty confident its fine but i am gonna bring it in monday anyways just in case. I havnt noticed anything out of the norm this morning tho, which is good (i think?) and the check engine light isnt coming on.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Quit kidding yourself dude. I know you want to believe that your car is so strong it can take it, but because of the weird idle and the fact that it DIED is enough to take it to the dealer and TRY to get some warrenty repairs done on it. The car is too new to attibute those weird behaviors to anything else but engine damage. BTW, you don't race your car to test if everything is ok. I mean, would you run a 100-yard sprint to test if you broken ankle was ok?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im a newb to celicas fyi, just bought thisone 2 weeks ago.

Wouldnt the check engine light go on if sumtin was wrong?

Anyways the problem is there doesnt appear to be ANYTHING wrong with my car. Im afraid the tech is gonna say the same thing when he looks at it even if there is truely damage. Will he be able to tell somehow even if theres no visible damage or audible damage?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
get the code read, it could be something as simple as a gas cap tight not tightened all the way or a lean code etc. You can get the code read at a Toyota dealer or I think Autozone will do it for free.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts