NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone seen/gotten any positive results with modding the stock airbox? Cutting holes in it and the like? Would there be any disadvantages?
Any input and feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Did this on my freind GT-S.
You can pull the box out and cut a large hole in the bottem of the box. Then replace the filter with a TRD filter. It works pretty damn good. Drawing air in from under the box. Its pretty cold down there and works in most respects as a short ram.
Sounds kinda wicked too. It wont do as well as a true CAI, but it gave much better responce on my freind GT-S. I will try and get some pics from him for you when he comes back down this way.

·
Registered
128 Posts
it worked

im a broke guy so i try and do all the free mods i can so i went ahead and tried the hole in the bottem of the airbox. i just basiclly cut across the deepest part of the bottem of the airbox with a saw slaped the air filter back in and took it for a spin. SOB is pretty loud, pulls a bit harder too. so it did work and it does have a wicked sound special when i hit the lift. im not talking super hp gains god knows if i even gained at all, but it sure does feel like it. but then again you know how it goes, you change your oil and spark plugs then go take the car for a spin and your'll swear its going faster lol. at least i know i do. well thanks to the guy who said he tried it on his friends car.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i too am one of the poor people who try to do every lil cheap thing they can do their car. Ill be cutting a hole in the bottem of my box too now for sure. Could someone check if there is room to somehow run a 3in tube from the bottem fo the box to either dirrectly under the car or preferable to the front so that the air is ramed in, this would be such a good mod if it worked.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ya theres room, kind of...if you are going to do it out of 3' pvc piping you can get some of those pvc bend adapters and run it all the way down to in front of the radiator. i think i might try that this weekend. tell me what you think about the sound. if you think its louder or not. cause if not i guess im just tripping, but to me it sounds louder and pulls a little harder. i also noticed that the tempture line is one notch down then where it used to sit.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
The TRD filter is just a rebadged K&N filter, so don't waste any money.

If you wanna make a semi-CAI, you can route the pipe from the bottom of the airbox through to the driver side wheel well, where the filter of a CAI would sit. However, you have to cut a bit out of the wheel well (just like a CAI). It would also be a good idea to seal the pipe onto the airbox with silicone or something to keep the engine bay air out.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It doesnt look ghetto at all. In fact you cant see it when all is said and done. It worked real well on my freind like Isaid before.
He made gains, we know that much, not sure what kind of gains, but you could tell it was there.
And the sounds is AWSOME! at least I think sound. Not like my AEM, but it still sets you apart from stock that is for sure. :)

And if I remember right you should be able to buy some mandrel piping (elbows) from your local speed shop. They come in 3" and 2-1/2" Diam's. ANd they should get you to a nice cold place next to the finderwell. Cut a section out of the side wall and strap on a:

A: 6 inch tube to run into the fog light area for cold air.

"OR"

B: fit on a cone filter onto the end letting it reach pass the fenderwell. Then remove your Stock filter. That should work well.

Good Luck, and gla dI could Help.
There is no shame in what your doing....It JDM style if any one asks. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
its so my style, i hate it when ppl call my **** ghetto rigged just cause i didnt go run to kragen and spend 10x the amount of money i need to on some name brand performance part when i can make it for practically free myself and i have the pride in my work. Beyond that note... There is a install for a funnel air system on everythingcelica.com in which they cut out circular section of the underbody plastics, then run one of those bendable air ducting tubes up to where they had their CAI sit. They angled the end of the tube that was at the bottem so that it would scoop up air from under the car and blow it into the CAI, what a great idea. Now i make it better, i do the same thing except run the tube to the stock air box by cutting a hole in the bottem, then i seal it off air tight so that you dont get anny pressure leaks there. Then you take some scrap plastics and melt them onto the inside of the air box so that the way the air used to come in "stock style" is now impossible. This way, with the air being ramed up from under the car caused the the velocity of the car moving, you can get air traveling into your intake without leakage with a boost of 1.5psi going 65mph on the freeway, the boost increases and decreases in direct relationship with your velocity. So if you were going 130 mph your would get a fat boost of 3psi off N/A and if you were going 25mph you would get a dandy .5psi boost. Just my .02 cents, feel free to shut down my ideas but this is basically what im gonna do to my car.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
People will shoot you down, but more power to you!
Not so sure about the 3psi, but that would be cool if you could get it. and if you do let me know!!! I'll reinstall my old box. and give your way a try. :)

Keep me posted, either in here or by PM.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well...it is settled...i have a weekend project. :) And if i end up not liking it...hell, take it off and patch up the hole.

Thanks guys. I have been pondering this for quite some time now and i am going to try it and compare it to the short ram i have now (which happens to be a no-name i got off of e-bay that isn't even the correct diameter piping).

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Well, the ram air thing is kind of a myth - you can't actually build a positive pressure that way - not saying you wont see gains - any time you can increase relative air density by lowering intake air temp you have the potential to see gains as long as it doesn't mess with the MAF calibration or anything. However you may also experience some loss in low end torque as many CAI users have noticed. But hey, you can probably pick up a spare lower airbox in a junkyard cheap. so it can't hurt too much.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
DJ_GLITCH_OS said:
And if I remember right you should be able to buy some mandrel piping (elbows) from your local speed shop. They come in 3" and 2-1/2" Diam's. ANd they should get you to a nice cold place next to the finderwell. Cut a section out of the side wall and strap on a:

A: 6 inch tube to run into the fog light area for cold air.
Having mandrel bent pipe won't make a difference because the airflow will get all messed up anyway once it reaches the airbox. Also, unless you're gonna seal up the front opening on the airbox, getting the correct piping size doesn't really matter. Not sure if it even matters at all (as long as it's 2.5" or larger), since the piping around the MAFS is all that really counts, and it's the right size.
DJ_GLITCH_OS said:
B: fit on a cone filter onto the end letting it reach pass the fenderwell. Then remove your Stock filter. That should work well.
Like above, if you're gonna remove the stock filter, you NEED to seal up the front of the airbox, otherwise nasty stuff will get through into your engine.

If you're gonna spend that much money on the cone filter ($30-60), you might as well just pick up a CAI from eBay for $50 (even comes with a good filter ;) ).. Real power gains, and if you ever want to return to stock, your airbox is in one piece.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I was talking about the pipe sections due to the fact they are easy to work with. Also sealing up the box isnt hard. Would take like 10mins.

Any ways, the intakes on Ebay are crap in most cases.
The idea is to spend as little cash as possable. yea the cone filter idea was a bit much, but just thought it could be somehting to do as you get a lil cash here and there.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Actually, the eBay CAIs have been proven to give just about as much of a power increase as the AEM CAI. Somebody dynoed one a little while ago. No problems with CELs have been reported from eBay CAIs, either, unlike namebrand CAIs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Actually, I have something like that. I bought a used, cut up AEM
CAI for 20 bucks. The previous owner was scared of hydrolocking
so he cut a bit off the tip. Since it was all jacked up already, I cut
off a bit more till the tip was right below the lower radiator hose
and stuck the filter there. It is a tight fit but the filter sits below
the radiator hose and the shift link thingy and cables. It is not
interfering with anything. I think the positioning is really good
because there is cold air coming from below the mud guards and
holes. It works just like the short ram intakes but the filter
does not draw air from the hot engin bay. Instead it draws it from
below. It is not a true CAI because it is not that low but it will not hydrolock if u drive into a really deep puddle. I might settle
for a Ingen short ram intake because here in Cali, smog check
is coming in the next year for my 2000 gts.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
way cool.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts