NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference (to an alignment shop) between a modified alignment and a regular alignment. I went to get my alignment a while ago and the shop told me i had to pay more for the alignment because my suspenion was modified. Is it more difficult to do an alignment when the car is lowered? I had to pay $120 for it cause i needed one bad. I hope i didnt just give into bull****.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Depending on how low your car is, the front bumper might get in the way of the alignment lasers. If this is the case, they might have to take off the bumper to align the car. Then they charge you extra.

·
Recovering Celica Driver
513 Posts
pfcnguyen: For your next alignment, try Motorsport Techniques in Hayward. Ask for Jack Chu. His number is here somewhere. :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Originally posted by boostjunkie26
Depending on how low your car is, the front bumper might get in the way of the alignment lasers. If this is the case, they might have to take off the bumper to align the car. Then they charge you extra.
uh-uh. :bs:
ever seen an alignment being done? where i work, the passenger side heads are not even in view of the computer or its pickups. it still works, because if the computer can't read the heads, it will tell you. ;)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
A laser machine is NOT required to do an accurate alignment. All thats really required is a decent machine and someone who knows what they are doing. Hell, if the person is good enough you don't even need the machine.

The shop that does mine has no Laser. We just back the car over the pit (it don't matter how low you are over a pit), hook the heads/pickups over the wheels, attach the strings (yes strings) and do the rear alignment. Then remove the equipment, turn the car around (front over pit), hook it all back up and do the front.

I have found most laser alignment machines could be run by trained monkeys and are.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
i had to pay more as well, but i only paid $80. (the reason was my car was lowered)

the shop i went to told me that ONCE a car is lowered, the rear cambers cannot be adjusted back to stock specification.

this shop that i went to has been on lots of megazines and been around for years. they've lowered lots of cars.

so...WHAT IS THE TRUTH guys?

·
Registered
792 Posts
True to a point. Past 2 in or so on the rear and you go past the limits of the stock adjusters. Get camber links from hotchkis and it will fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts