NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I got this car I've been thinking I have some moisture issue. The main thing that I noticed first off was the rear spare area had a musty smell, so I cleaned everything up and threw out all the foam in there and its been fine since. Well until recently I've noticed that I pretty much always have issues with the windows fogging up and had a very large amount of water/condensation built up on the inside of the glass the past few days. So far as I can tell, there is no standing water in the hatch, nothing under the rear seats, I pulled the a pillars and the tubes look clean and clear but i wasn't able to get anything into the drain to blow it out as i cant see exactly where its going.

The only thing I noticed was a few specs of water on my rear floor mats which I suspect is just the condensation dripping down from the sunroof as I left the cover open and it had a lot of condensation build up on it.
I did pull some of the body plugs on the floorboard and noticed they were all very dry and cracked. I couldn't determine whether the floor mats were wet or just cold though, pretty sure they weren't wet but IDK for sure. the water I saw was on top of a rubber floor mat though so it seems more likely the leak is from above, maybe the door seals or the sunroof? A lot of the rubber on this car is fairly dry but I have washed the car plenty of times and no water gets in, the only are of concern I have when washing the car is the water seems to creep through the back of the drivers and passenger windows but I don't see that being the issue as that seems to just be par for the course with the pillarless door design. It only gets in if i spray like directly at it, and usually doesn't make it more than halfway through the rubber.

IDK, im at a bit of a loss here. I am thinking it must be just getting the carpets damp from driving in the damp roads but i can't confirm it. should i just try replacing those rubber plugs?

·
Registered
21 Posts
speaking from experience, water is a sneaky foe. pieces of paper towel and a power washer can be very helpful. it took me a solid weekend to track down a leaky sunroof. the very small amount of water was traveling down a body seam, then into a wire bundle, showing itself as damp carpet in the rear seat floorpan. small pieces of paper towel placed all over the place will make the trail easier to follow after a power washer hose-down. focus the power washer in specific areas until you can replicate the issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My celi has a leak a leak since I bought it, and has only sprung more. All of them seem to be coming from the window seals. As for fixing them... well, I just don't have an interior anymore :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hasn't had any issues fogging since I last posted about this.... I did realize I left some window cleaner in the car and took that out, so the only liquid remaining in the car is hand sanitizer. I did notice the drivers and passengers window seals at the top seems to go over and under the window at the top of the window... not sure if that is normal or not. will post a picture later

I did have a peak under the rear seats and there is 0 evidence of water ever being there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a pic of how the rubber liner over the window goes, seems a bit odd, but I messed around with the rubber and it is definitely in the correct place, just the seal seems to do an over/under with the edge of the glass, which doesn't seem right to me. thoughts?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't look right, but it could still be sealing, test it by spraying the area with a garden hose and see if water seeps through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts