NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK everyone.......

many of you have the opinion that molding the front bumper is NOT a good idea..... right ?? the downfalls to this are that if you need access to replace a radiator, add an intercooler, or whatever other common matinence issues arrise, there will be major work needed to fit whatever job is needed to be performed

well, my front bumper is being molded to help sleek-out the front end by removing all the lines attributed to adding an aftermarket front bumper

my question is..... do you think will it withstand the normal conditions attributed from driving (windstress - cracking) ??

.......my front bumper is solid as a tank !!

if you doubt me or think it is a problem and i am insane i will prove YOU WRONG !!! (this videoclip is freakin' crazy and you will be in shock !!)

........you've got to check out this video clip i have !!

*please scroll down to view the video clip PhaQGM hosted for me !! -thanks tim

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
doesnt matter if your front bumper is strong. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER mold on your front bumper. that is really stupid and pointless. what if your car broke down for some reason and had to tow it???? you have to think about that kind of stuff...all of my friends that did MAJOR body work (more than yours) have NOT molded on the front bumper. front headlight,taillight conversion, 3inch wide bodies,molding on back bumpers, side skirts, roof gutters, all that stuff EXCEPT the front bumper. so IMHO...dont mold on front..

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
*note: installation of removable tow-hitch is now noted and will be preformed incase towing is needed !!

(you know.... those kind of tow-hitch thingies you see on dragcars)

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
if you want to risk that chance, go ahead. i HONESTLY dont think the judge is going to give you more points if you mold on the front bumper. if thats what you are going for. also, most of the import tuner cars dont have front bumper molded on. its not common and there are reasons why.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
pointless. i mean seriously if youre gonna mold the front, youre still gonna have the lines because of the hood. unless youre gonna mold the hood shut...

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
RichGT said:
doesnt matter if your front bumper is strong. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER mold on your front bumper. that is really stupid and pointless. what if your car broke down for some reason and had to tow it???? you have to think about that kind of stuff...all of my friends that did MAJOR body work (more than yours) have NOT molded on the front bumper. front headlight,taillight conversion, 3inch wide bodies,molding on back bumpers, side skirts, roof gutters, all that stuff EXCEPT the front bumper. so IMHO...dont mold on front..
interesting...you got a point there....:)

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you hit something its gonna do damage to more than just your front. A guy around here had his sides molded on and hit a dog and had to repair not only his sides but his front and rear fender as well. It will be more of a hassle if you hit something with it. Just gotta weigh out the pros and cons though.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I'm rooting for you as well Dustin :) Maybe that's cuz I bought something from you and you're such a great guy...or maybe it's just 'cuz you have all the $ to do this body stuff. Either way, your ride is gonna look sick when it's done.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I'm rooting for you as well Dustin:smiley: Maybe that's cuz I bought something from you and you're such a great guy...or maybe it's just 'cuz you have all the $ to do this body stuff. Either way, your ride is gonna look sick when it's done.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
I wouldn't do it at all. Have you ever had a molded body kit? Even the sideskirts on my old car didn't hold up to the stress after two years and started to fracture a little. And we used fiberglass and glassed the skirts on, not just regular Bondo/bodyfiller.

Do it if it's what you want, but if you're thinking it's gonna be a good idea just because you think your bumper is "strong", you're just going to have to learn the hard way. The strength of the bumper itself has nothing to do with how strong the bonding is between it and the rest of your car. Your car is gonna still look damned tight if you decide NOT to blend the front bumper in... I just think it's the smarter thing to do.

I wouldn't even do the rear bumper. At least if you get in a minor fender-bender on either end, you can just swap the bumper out and replace it with a new one.

Good luck either way. The car looks great thus far. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL - too late........ the front is molded !!!

here is a link to the pics (imagestation is currently down ....again)

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/trd_celi...order=&.view=t&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/

*like many of you have noted you really disagree with the molding of a front bumper, i was skeptical about doing it too, but i went ahead and had it done. speaking of "done" this is one of the final majors of this celica and after this is complete..... it WILL BE DONE !! (except for brake upgrade and some minor stereo work)

*this celica of mine is gonna be either strickly show, and nice day driven !! (i will seldomly take it on a track) so i really don't think it's gonna get hurt and if so, that's the risk i am taking

*i never plan on selling this because i have put so much time and effort into this and well..... it's me !!

......someone please host the video for me !!! (you gotta see it)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
That brace is a good idea. Looks like it will hold it up really good. Can't wait to see your car finished....n e estimated time?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Damn, that would be sick if you include the hood also, instead of opening the hood to check the engine, just raise the back part Just like some Euro cars.

By the way, looks good, I can't wait how it will look like.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
c'mon now...... someone please tell me that isn't strong !!

*there are still 2 other braces that need to be welded into place right behind where the bumper and fender are molded

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NeSyO03 said:
That brace is a good idea. Looks like it will hold it up really good. Can't wait to see your car finished....n e estimated time?

you should check out the video and see how well it is holding up !!

estimated time of completion..... 2-3 weeks (just in time for HIN -seattle)

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
don't do it...

if you manage to scrape hard enough to just do a little crazy in the seem, you'll have to pay lots of $$$ just to repair the front + the fender is cracked

·
O.G. Original Gluesniffer
8,944 Posts
You couldn't pay me to permanently graft my front bumper to my car...you're just asking for headaches down the road, not to mention time and money to repair stuff that will inevitably go wrong. I thought you were going to go forced induction? You realize it's going to be physically impossible to fit an FMIC and all the necessary piping in there without removing the front end, right?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts