NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So last weekend at HIN, my moonroof decided to die on me. I have no clue as to the problem and wanted to see if any of you guys could offer some help. It began when i was trying to close my moonroof from tilt after roll in. But it didn't move so i pressed open and what do you know...it opened and now it is at the full open position stuck. When I press close it won't do nothing and is quiet. But now when i press open even though its in the full open position I can still hear the servo motor noise moving when I press open. It really sucks because I can't drive my car anywhere because I'm afriad of bird poop haha. I know its sounds funny and people that may climb into my car to steal stuff. Any help to making my roof work again would be most appreciated!! Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Heya! I had a similar problem. Unscrewed the map light fixture and checked things out and screwed it back in and it worked. I think the switch was sticking. Let us know if you fix it!

Kristin

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks girl! Yea that didn't work unfortunately sux....I hope I fix this soon too :furious:

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey same problem.

when i slammed the passenger side sun visor against the roof, like, when you put it back up, the roof started working again, but only for a couple seconds... mine is also stuck open now... and i wanted to wash it so bad.

i just hit 60 000 km's, and my warranty expired last month, and just this month, the moon roof stopped working, my interioir light burnt out and my left drl burnt out, plus the squeeky shifter...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Sounds like the switch or a bad wire...the motor works so you know it it getting power (no fuse problem) but the switch has buttons for both the open and close positions. I bet that if you remove the cover for the switch and apply power to the terminal that closes it, it will work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Heya! I had a similar problem. Unscrewed the map light fixture and checked things out and screwed it back in and it worked. I think the switch was sticking. Let us know if you fix it!

Kristin
Hi, I’m having this problem now, the part beneith the sunroof, the cover , u side back & forth with your hand, is seemingly stuck inside with the sunroof,

·
Registered
6 Posts

Kristin
Hi, how do u unscrew the map light that’s on same panel with on & off switch, I took entire panel off saw nothing

·
Registered
200 Posts
Search forum for sunroof. In past few years i've posted a thread about replacing my broken sun roof and I believe I shared why it broke/stop moving. I've also commented indepth on atleast one thread too, should be a good amount of info.
For my celica, odds are you or previous owners never kept on top of maintaining the sun roof (by clearing debris, lubricating, inspecting drain hoses) and its either rusted + has broken pieces of rust floating around inside the drive mechanisms jamming it up.
Test it with multimeter (tons of old posts detailin this and its also in the service manual) but also look up inside with it open.
There is way to manually shut moonroof if its stuck open and you're risking rain. Have to remove headliner though I believe (I could be wrong)

I searched forum real quick to see if there was way to manually close sunroof in case yours is stuck open. Maybe there is alternate way to do this though:
to manually close it, you need to take out the headliner and remove the motor. once you remove it, you can push it down as the cable will slide freely. Wait it the roof fully open?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts