NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
more diesel tractor noise on 2zz celica with High Quality SOUND video!

I've seen a lot of thread about this, but after trying a lot I think is finally time for me to share my noisy diesel tractor.

Video was recorder with high audio quality so please watch it on HQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_412ZlT9MCk

This sound started after got installed forged mahle 12.3:1 high compression pistons, and mwr flat face valves. new bearings, timing chain, guides and tensor, power fc ecu. Performance seems fine.

Also when the engine is warming up, when PFC monitor shows engine temp. around 40ºC (104ºF) the idle sounds pretty nice and normal, before and after that it just gets like this.

I've tried disconnecting the vvti ocv plug, and its the same
tried 10w30, 20w50, even 25w60, its just the same (150k mileage on it)
Also adjusted valve clearance with a bunch of new shims, no change..
cleaned OCVs and small filters, nothing.

I've heard about exhaust manifold leak, belt tensioner piston, injectors?
But I'm not sure, I hear the sound more like on the intake side.
Haven't tried racing fuel btw. I use 95 octane pump gas, don't know if its me but I think the noise get worst when running very low on tank, when I fill up I think it gets like this video.

Please! more suggestions please?

·
Registered
21 Posts
my 02 gts sounds like a baby version of that. Yours is definitely louder. i only got 130k on mine. Maybe another 20k and Ill have my very own tractor too.

Oh and i havent done anything to mine.

·
Premium Member
4,518 Posts
I have these installed for 3 years now ...the noise is similar. Thats what you get with forged pistons they're noisy as hell until they get fully warmed up.
How is your valves lash, did you check it?
Do you have Pipers cam installed ? Cause with them it does get noisy too.
What was you clearance for the Mahles?

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
i have installed the Mahles in an engine out of spec and it rattled like this. when i installed high comp Mahles in a brand new block it sounds like a new engine. when i took the first engine back apart. it tore the cylinder walls apart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
valve lash is good now, the pistons felt pretty tight, but still it was a bad idea to install them without new sleeves I guess (150k miles engine...), maybe felt tight by hand but maybe they aren't tight enough.

stock cams on it btw

Maybe I need a whole new engine, I've already been trashed with the dyno video X_X

or just sleeves, how possible can it be to get new sleeves, use the same pistons with new rings of course, and get rid of the noise? will money work in that way? (If I just had the money...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts