NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Car Enthusiast
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 gts I bought with 140k miles (now at 178k) . It had about 7 leaks and needed a new clutch which was all fixed and since then its been a great car. About 7 months ago I added the Injen SRI and 3 months later got a magnaflow exhaust kit.

So about 2 months after getting the exhaust kit my car has developed a rattle/rapid clicking :wtf2: (sounds like when you put a piece of paper into a fan blade) that only happens when I press the gas pedal. When idled it sounds perfectly fine, when i rev while idled it still sounds awesome. Whenever I move and give it gas it makes the noise. When i have the pedal at about 10-20% depressed it doesnt really make the noise but I think its still very faint. If I depress the pedal anymore it just gets louder and louder with rpms but then settles down at higher rpms, or the car is just to loud to hear it at higher rpms. It definitely happens due to pedal position. Strange thing is if I let off the gas and let the car coast the sound is gone. It sounds like its coming from the driver side, near the air intake but hard to tell since it only makes the noise when driving.

All Ive done so far is added some valve cleaner and oil treatment 2 day ago to see if that would hopefully clean up the valves or injectors but it hasn't made a diff.

I did my research and a lot points towards a bad rod or something around there, But the fact that it sounds close to perfect when not moving and idled makes me thing otherwise but I'm not an expert :p Also there is a slight loss in power but it doesn't feel huge. I can still hit lift fine too but it feels a tiny bit not as powerful, like a really tiny bit, enough to where its noticeable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It does not necessarily have to rattle at idle to be internal engine issues. Describe the sound in greater detail - is it like metal on metal? The Celica valvetrain is generally pretty loud. Maybe take some video - it can be hard to pinpoint this without knowing if it is abnormally loud or not; however, the clicking you describe would not be normal pending a same understanding of what a click is.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,633 Posts
From your initial description I was going to say rod knock. But, the video doesn't sound like that. The video almost sounds belt related. Tensioner?

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
does is sound louder when you go into higher gear and accelerate at low rpm?

i think i may have the same issue, sounds the same in the video. I though it was a leak somewhere because it started after a few snow storms, i didn't drive the car much but did get stuck in ice and snow (scraped a lot). Maybe all the salt and ice caused a hole somewhere. I doubt we both have bad rods, since I barely drove the car, or even took it into lift. Keep us updated.

·
Car Enthusiast
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it does sound louder when I do that. Its funny you mention that because now that I think about it, the problem did start after last winter was over and we had a pretty bad, wet and salty winter. My belts would act up during the wetter days so maybe its related to that.

I did notice a bit of exhaust leaking out of the joint where the muffler connects to the mid pipe. I'm going to seal it up and share my results but I doubt its from that because it definitely sounds like its coming from the front of the car. The bolts for my heat-shield are pretty worn and rusty so I may get those replaced or remove the shield first to see if that solves it.

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
when i get the chance im going to remove the muffler completely and try to narrow this down. keep us updated

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
i think is coming from under the engine, where the heatshield is at, could be the headers or downpipe, not sure yet

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
The heat shield above the exhaust header (manifold) may have a crack in it.
will the heat shield make that sound? wouldn't it be a component of the exhaust itself? header, down pipe, or gaskets?

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
I'm almost convinced its a header gasket leak

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
My car is now too quiet. the issue was the gasket in between the headers and mid pipe. very easy, just need to get to under the car with an extension to your ratchet. i used heat and later replaced the bolts/springs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts