NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off thanks to all on this site. I went from nothing to changing my own spark plugs and trying to change my lift bolts on my 2001 celica gts (85 k miles) before backing away slowly once I verified the bolt was broken.

Anyway I just changed my blown struts for agx. I went a little extravagent and got tein-h and hotchkis sways at the same time. Initial settings sway soft in front agx 2 front 3 rear.

I knew this would make for a rougher ride. But this is way rough. Great highway but around town vibration is crazy and I don't think it's just because of the sways. And the back feels like I'm pulling a trailer that has no suspension.

It was so bad I pulled over and changed the agx to 1 all around. It still rides rough enough that I'm posting here.

Other facts:
It is going in for alignment Tuesday.
The spring idolaters in the front were torn but the installer just put the old ones back because he didn't have new ones.

Sorry for the long message but I'm not sure what to fix or if there is nothing wrong since I have nothing do compare it to and I changed a lot at once going from soft spring and no shocks to this setup.

Thanks for reading this far.

Hooray for lift!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All better now.
I went back to the installer (I don't work on my own suspension) with a list of things from this site to check and discovered that:

The springs weren't seated correctly
2 shock mount bolts were loose
A swaybar mount was loose

Hooray for torque specs!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Shops dont do torque specs. What ever the impact gun is set to or how strong the mechanic is, is the torque on every bolt.

Suspension work aint that bad especially the 2nd time around when all the bolts were broken free :D.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Don't give up. IF you mess up the first time, the second time around be easier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took me way too long but I figured it out.
For some reason the installer decided that 32 psi was way too much and grossly under inflated all the tires.
I filled them up and now I have a suspension again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts