NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
47,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Study Proves Drivers Are Out To Kill Motorcyclists
According to a survey conducted by the California Office of Traffic Safety, the majority of car drivers are unaware that lane splitting is a legal practice. A small minority, seven percent, admitted to researchers that they'd actively tried to prevent lane splitting. Despite that, the vast majority, 84.4 percent of riders, have never had an incident while splitting.

A lot of what's in this report (OTS Motorcycle Lane Splitting Report http://issuu.com/hellforleather/docs/motorcycle_lane_split_survey-mc_rider_response_sec) is statistical confirmation of common sense and what you and I observe every day:

- The vast majority of riders are male (93.4 percent) and middle aged (30.4 percent are 45-54).
- Most riders use motorcycles only for leisure (45.9 percent), but plenty use them for both commuting and leisure riding (30.8 percent).
- More riders lane split on freeways (77.6 percent) than on surface streets (63.9 percent)
- You're more likely to be hit by a car while lane splitting on the freeway (11.7 percent) than on surface streets (8.3 percent
- Only 1.7 percent of riders admit to splitting while traffic is traveling at 70mph or faster.
- 10mph above the speed of traffic is the most popular splitting pace (42.1 percent).
- Distracted drivers (30.0 percent) and drivers not bothering to check mirrors before changing lanes (32.5 percent) are seen as the biggest dangers.
- You're more likely to lane split the more often you ride.

It'll be ignored, but the OTS issues the following advice to motorists on how to avoid hitting a biker while texting:

- Perform a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering
or exiting a lane of traffic, and at intersections.
- Always signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.
- Don't be fooled by a flashing turn signal on a motorcycle – motorcycle signals are often not
self-canceling and riders sometimes forget to turn them off. Wait to be sure the motorcycle is
going to turn before you proceed.
- Allow more following distance – three or four seconds – when behind a motorcycle so the
motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency.
- Never tailgate. In dry conditions, motorcycles can stop more quickly than cars.
Never drive while distracted or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Helpfully, there's also advice for keeping yourself alive:

- Avoiding riding in poor weather conditions;
- Wearing brightly colored protective gear and a DOT-compliant helmet;
- Using turn signals for every turn or lane change, even if the rider thinks no one will see it;
- Combining hand signals and turn signals to draw more attention to themselves;
- Using reflective tape and stickers to increase conspicuity;
- Positioning themselves in the lane where they will be most visible to other drivers; and
Never driving while impaired.

Safe travels everyone...

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
i hate dickhead crotch rockets who lane split on the hwy like speed racer. its pretty dangerous and illegal here.

·
Murse Practitioner.
2,911 Posts
If the speed of traffic was at normal highway and speed limit speeds I never split lanes. But if traffic was at a stop or less than 1/2 the speed limit I would choose my days and times to split lanes, especially when riding an air-cooled bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wish we could split in AZ. My bike hits 214-220 degrees in stop n go traffic...

insert witty comment here

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i lane split almost all the time here in the bay area, and i usually split when its dead stop, once traffic starts to pick up again(65+mph)...i get back into the lane and ride normal

i've seen some people split at 75-80+mph and man that's just too crazy for me...

·
Super Moderator
47,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CluVvz9XiuY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w4aznrpSYsA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T-ykclkh8bI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And for something a little bit nicer...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VYpOFimB7ZA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Premium Member
4,518 Posts
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T-ykclkh8bI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was in Greece.....the guy remains very calm..and keeps on saying:- "It was red for you.. fuck!"

·
Registered
923 Posts
i lane split almost all the time here in the bay area, and i usually split when its dead stop, once traffic starts to pick up again(65+mph)...i get back into the lane and ride normal

i've seen some people split at 75-80+mph and man that's just too crazy for me...
Yeah there are TONS of motorcycles here in the bay and almost all of them seem to love lane splitting lol. I see at least 3-4 bikes on the way to school every day.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
There should be something in the law like

*only legal when traffic is moving below 20mph

or something. I've been cruising in traffic in Chicago going 55-60 pretty heavy and I see bikes weaving and splitting and bombing across 6 lanes of traffic back and forth. If someone hits one of them, I really have little remorse. Ride like you have some common sense.

·
Please Deliver
969 Posts
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CluVvz9XiuY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Wait, does this mean motorcycles CAN damage vehicles?!?!? Now I'm confused...

Either way, I had to google wtf lane splitting was, thanks guys. Also, that's the dumbest thing ever. It seems dangerous, especially at high speeds, and even at lower speeds it can distract other motorists or make them nervous, uneasy, or unfocused on everything else around them. So if there's room between two cars would it be alright for me to lane-split in my Celica?!?! I mean, there is space.

·
Theoretical Gear Head
754 Posts
*shakes noggin* Nothing wrong with splitting. Isn't a bother. Almost always see it coming up. Give biker riders plenty of space and hold it steady as not to spook them. Most of the time the idiots are the car drivers. Follow too close, cut bikes off even when they know the bikes are there. No surprise some drivers admit to purposely try to run them off the road. Lot more probably didn't have the balls to admit they do. People are idiots.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Am I the only one that finds the title of the article to be falsely suggestive and misleading? :marky:

The study doesn't prove anything remotely associated with drivers of cars going out there to kill motorcyclist. It only proves that a lot of people are ignorant about traffic rules. Seven percent of car drivers does not warrant the title. Yes, I'm angry about the title. No, I don't prevent lane splitting, I make room.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I always try to be aware of whats going on, but let's be honest. When you're on a crotch rocket doing this going faster than the speed limit and not wearing any gear, not even a helmet... there's only so much we can do and the rest is on you

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Anyone else feel like cycles tail gate alot? It always feels like motor cycles are riding 1 car length at highway speeds. One time I ran over something like a license plate and it got kicked up by my back wheel, almost hit the un helmeted rider directly behind me (around 15 feet I'd guess) in the chest/face at 65mph. He missed it by inches!

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
Anyone else feel like cycles tail gate alot?
i have the same feeling. hate it especially when u see crotch rockets with HIDs in their reflector housings.

·
Theoretical Gear Head
754 Posts
Makes me far more nervous when someone is tail gating a rider in front of me than when a bike is tail gating me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
- Don't be fooled by a flashing turn signal on a motorcycle – motorcycle signals are often not
self-canceling and riders sometimes forget to turn them off. Wait to be sure the motorcycle is
going to turn before you proceed.
So now we need to be able to read minds and pre-judge bikes? Great.

No thanks how about just turn your signals off for your safety as well as my piece of mind? Not self cancelling? Unlucky, you chose to use a bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts