NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Best User
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
realy? but the mr2 only weighs 2200lbs. 180hp in that light of a car would have to be pretty fast. ive seen some with k20s, thats 200hp in a 2200lb car. the s2000 only has 240hp and weighs 2800lbs. i feel like it would have to be pretty close. s2000 prolly handles better tho i guess.

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
drivers race,but the 2zz MR2-s is more forgiving. However 2zz mr2 with weight reduction,basic bolt-ons and PFC is a whole new beast.

-rear mid-engine layout, rwd
-easy to get below 2000lbs,but comfort is sacrificed. Easy to get down to 2100 without much work.
-poor-man elise

·
License to Speed
60 Posts
Mmmm... this is a tough one. I would probably choose the MR2 because it has the "best" chassis layout, mid engine rear wheel drive. It would probably launch harder, although I don't have the weight distribution or torque values for either car so I cannot be sure. MR2 would definitely handle better but you may be able to drift the S2K around tight corners a little more easily. Seems like a driver's race to me. Are you looking to buy one or is this just a theoretical?

·
The Best User
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im looking to buy a rwd car eventualy. ive only got 7k right now so i cant quite afford an s2k, but im saving up. id probably go with the s2k because an engine swap like that gets expensive, even if i did my own work. but i do think that once you had it swapped it would be a close race.

·
Registered
642 Posts
180hp in that light of a car would have to be pretty fast. ive seen some with k20s, thats 200hp in a 2200lb car. the s2000 only has 240hp and weighs 2800lbs. i feel like it would have to be pretty close
I'd rather take the MR-S just because it's Toyota and more unique.
They may be close in performance but i just personally lost all faith in toyota past the year 2000. i love my celi to no end, but my celicas had way too many problems for how any miles were on the thing at the time, as well as my buddys celi. my engines blown up twice, once at 45k miles and a second time at 55k and all stock. our family has had so much bad luck with toyotas that were all after the year 2000. any year before it and ill defend it to the ends of the earth that is the most reliable car on the road, but not anymore.

now that honda, thats not dying anytime soon, our neighbor has 275k miles on his s2k, and has never had one problem, and he beats the hell out of it.

plus, i think that generation mr2 is pretty ugly, i really like the 90-95 generation best

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
^ I just typed a long reply and forgot to post -______- akdosmbrjwkx

Anyways. I have 228k on my celica and still runs like a champ. I would say I beat on it,but I also take care of it religiously. Keeping up with maintenance and cleaning.

The mr2-s is somewhayy ugly to me. I do like the mkii mr2 better,but the 2195 curb weight and relatively easy 2zz swap for the mmr2-s is a huge plus.

I just wish a 3sgte swap in to the mkii mr2 was as easy and as cheap a a 2zz sswap into the mr2-s.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
MR2 would be faster actually. Or as fast I should say. Tired up MR2 Swaps have seen 13.9/14.0 just like a stock S2k and the MR2 would ABSOLUTELY handle better.

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
I am actually planning that swap in the near future. I used to have a 1zz MR2 spyder and I loved the car. Wish I had never sold it. Now I am looking for a good clean shell to drop in a built 2zz turbo engine I have sitting around in the shop with a C60 with TRD LSD. Time to have some real fun. As for the S2k, they are nice, but an MR2 with some bolt on mods and a 2zz swap should easily be able to walk one.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Thats a cool car, but who n the hell would want a 2zz mr2 when u can buy a car from factory with a 3sgte and beat everybody

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Spyder. I'd love to do a 2zz swap. Went the turbo route though. Love to mess with people in my car. I like the s2k, but with drivers of the same skill my money is on the mr2

·
The Best User
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok so i have a 00 cellica gt right now. it recently started running like crap and burns oil like its in hell. my original plan was to give the car to my little brother when he got his licence, but now it is in dire need of an engine swap and i dont want to stick him with that, although i did just spend alot of time and effort putting a sweet paint job on it. so what im thinking is i can get a 03+ mr2, take the 1zz out and put it in the celica then drop a 2zz in the mr2. i would do all the work myself. i realy want a s2000 and think it looks far better than the mr2, but if i can get a mr2 for 6-7k then i think im going to end up doing this. does it sound like a good idea?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts