NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if someone could help me out as to what all I need to do the swap. Right now I have a spare 2zz block and complete head, with the intake manifold and header, vavle cover and oil pan. I know I need a tranny, six speed, and a new motor mount. I think. what else do I need to have.. Will the 1zz accesories work, like the alt. power steering and things like that?

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
ya

i dunno about the engine, im just buying a complete engine, However, your coing to need the ecu, wiring harness, (one is on ebay right now) And the midpipe needs to be modified.

Also your 5 spd will work on the engine it has been done.

You need the Passenger side engine mount. Just make sure that your ECU and engine correspond to the same YEAR, because the knock sensors are different in the earlier models. ( i don't know what this means but its true.) Blah the only reason i know this is because im doing a swap this Winter. YAY.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's best to go with the early (2000-early 2001 ) ecu for the higher rev limit. You can swap the knock sensor over from the 1zz. It's the same as the early Celica knock sensor.

I used the accessories from the 2zz (came with it for me) except for the a/c, I used the 1zz a/c.

To make the 6speed work pm LittleRocket to have the shifter shaft machined ~$200. He has also talked about making a new bridge for the right motor mount and header to fit to stock exhaust. The 2zz header must be modified. New mount for the throttle cable.

I'll try to think of more, it's been a while though.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
but using the 5spd makes it even more difficult to stay in the 2zz's powerband. If your gonna do the swap, get the 6spd.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The alternator will work and the power steering is electric and not run off the belt on the MRS. Yeah definately get a 6 speed. Most people with Spyders start on spyderchat.com and come over here for more ideas. I think you should approach it in that direction because you're going to find a lot more information about the swap there.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
hey, nice ride chris. Where in houston did you get your swap done at? I'm actually looking at doing this swap if i can get my hands on a nice spyder. About how much did the swap cost you including the motor and tranny? PM me if u want.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
general price for a spyder 2ZZ swap according to Little Rocket on spyderchat is:

2500 for 2zz and 6 speed

1000 for install

300 for fluids exhaust components and materials

200 for shifter machining

50 for one custom mount

he's also in Houston and probably could help you out with the swap

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
oh, ok. So roughly 4 grand give or take a few hunded. Not too bad. Thanks for the info Bizzy!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: hey

SleeprGT said:
whoa? 6speed needs to be machined? on a celica? i thought everything would bolt right in? Are you sure?
No not for the Celica, original poster said mrs 2zz swap.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's the shift shaft that needs to be machined. Remember everything is coming from the opposite end on a Spyder... The motor is still facing the same way but all the shifting components run the opposite way (forward toward the cabin).

Anyways Bizzy is right. LittleRocket did my swap. He'll help you sell that motor and tranny I'm sure. That could negate the labor. While you're at it he might be able to do some additional motor work for you... If you have the money :).

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Originally posted by SleeprGT
whoa? 6speed needs to be machined? on a celica? i thought everything would bolt right in? Are you sure?
There are a couple of extra things that make doing the swap harder on the Spyder rather than on a Celica.

If you plan to use the 5spd, get yourself a PFC. It makes staying within the powerband in the corners much easier!

The original poster should search on Spyderchat. You won't find much here...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If you want a ride in my 2zz spyder drop me a pm. I am on the west side.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That thing is crazy....one of the quickest cars i have been in. By the way David is very good with cars so i recommend him to anyone who is in the houston area who wants their swap done. Thanx alot david i replaced the Cables on the car and she is running good now but it was a ROYAL pain

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I can just imagine. I had a fight getting them out of what is left of that black celica.

Glad to hear it is going well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts