NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here goes...

I bought a head from MWR about two years ago and installed it. Ever since my oil consumption slowly got worse. It was currently up to 7 quarts of oil per 3000 miles that I had to add every few weeks. Whenever I started it up I would see the famous valve seal problem as a puff of smoke would come out the tailpipe. It seemed to go away as the engine got warmer. There would also be a puff of smoke if i was idle at a stop sign or light and then pulled out. I verifed this by having a friend drive behind me while I was stopping and starting at intersections. I finally have another vehicle to drive so i decided to investigate this problem. I pulled the cylinder head out, leaving the block in the car. By looking through the valve springs I see a problem. All eight exhaust valve seals and six intake valve seals are up at the top of the valve, not snapped into their grooves. This irked me when i saw this. I decided to call MWR up and see if they had this problem before and they insisted that it was bizarre and they never heard of that happening. When i asked them if they possibly put the wrong valve seals on, they insisted no. Whoever I was talking to on the phone then says to me that they come in one bag which makes me wonder if they are the wrong valve seals. I do believe that Toyota has assigned two different part numbers for the intake and exhaust valve seals. MWR then indicated to me that a secondary shop does their head work and he said he then said wished me the best with fixing the problem. Does anyone have any theories or answers as to what would have caused these valve seals to be floating on the valve and not in the grooves?

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
yes intake and exhaust valve seals are different part #'s one is black and the other is green too. maybe they put them on backwards

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
yes intake and exhaust valve seals are different part #'s one is black and the other is green too. maybe they put them on backwards
x2 .. or they were used and not tight enough ..

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I just checked the manual, oil seals are non reusable ... 1ZZ also have different part numbers ..

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
wow, what a bitch! i feel for you bro - i guess you know not to do business with them in future then... :(

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So all the seals are gray...

What color are the GT valve seals?

Or possibly these are not Toyota Oem seals?

·
Registered
191 Posts
At the risk of potentially adding to the speculation. I found these specs somewhere for the ZZ Valve Stem Seals.

Engine Location Coloring Part Number...Stem Diameter
1ZZ-FE Exhaust Gray .....9008031046 .2152-.2157
1ZZ-FE Intake Lt Brown .9091302101 .2154-.2159

2ZZ-GE Exhaust Green ...9091302115 .2144-.2154
2ZZ-GE Intake Black ......9091302114 .2150-.2156

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I believe my "black" ones (intake 2zz) had some grey on them. It confused me a bit but I guess they either changed the color over time or something. Mines came in the 2zz overhaul gasket set so I knew they were the right ones ..

In any case, seal size could not explain why the seals would be up unless they use gt and the fitting on the valve guides are different! Intake and exhaust valve guides are the same. I know valve guides are different on the gt but I dunno if the seal fitting on the guide is the same .. Of course they might have forgotten to lower them too ..

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So tomorrow I am taking the cylinder head to be checked and cleaned at the local Napa machine shop.

Id like to clean the valves up as they are full of burnt oil and carbon. Can I use seafoam and a rag? Or is there another suggested method?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So Napa has cleaned my head and they are reassembling and they noticed that half of the valve springs are different. Four were on the intake and four were on the intake side. He said the flat part of the spring looks different on the twp different springs. One has a rounded end on it and the other has a flat end. Any idea which goes to the intake or exhaust side? I always thought they were all the same.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Pics for reference, but comments deleted as I thought you wanted to know valve differences, not springs. :eek::

See, you can tell here that this is the inlet:

And this is the exhaust:

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So i got the cylinder head back from Napa two weeks ago and I have been driving the car with no issues. Napa called me up while they were evaluating and cleaning all the parts and said some of the springs that were to be on the intake side, were on the exhaust side. They were intermingled throughout the head from MWR. One spring has a round coil and the other springs have diamond coils. So now not only did I have a valve seal problem that MWR did not seem to care about, they also had springs on locations where they werent to be and it messed up same of the valve seats on the exhaust side.

All issues and blame aside now...I moved on from their issues and how MWR did not really care to want to help me when i called and emailed them...shame on you guys!

With this said, I have been getting a misfire code in cylinder 3 usually during a cold startup. I can also sense lack of power lately too, like something is not working properly in that cylinder. I put in all new spark plugs so it should not be that. I was thinking an injector or a coil pack. Is there anyway I can test a coil pack or injector?

·
Registered
185 Posts
for the coil just swap it with another cilinder coil, if the missfire jumps to the cilinder that u swaped with the it is the coil , if not then try doing the same with the injectors

1 - 15 of 15 Posts