NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictures aren't the greatest and my car isn't anything outstanding, but hey, I figured I would start off a thread now and post pictures as I make more modifications.

My photography skills are also lacking.

Things to come:
Painted Sideskirts
Injen SRI
Greddy exhaust (Maybe?)
Yellow fogs
Red out tails
CF interior
Lower
Lip/ MAYBE kami kit

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks nice so far. Go lowar :wiggle:
I want to, but I really don't think I can around here. This is a daily driver and we get a good amount of snow. I'd turn into a snowplow. I guess a benefit of that is that I would get paid by the city to just drive around :D

I'm already lowered an inch or so. No idea what springs the previous owner put in, but they aren't oem. Maybe some sort of replacements that are just worn out?

What springs/coilovers would you recommend? Could I just grab 4 teins and be good to go? Or would I need to replace struts, etc? I'm looking to go the cheapest route here. 1.5" drop is the most I can go.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I want to, but I really don't think I can around here. This is a daily driver and we get a good amount of snow. I'd turn into a snowplow. I guess a benefit of that is that I would get paid by the city to just drive around :D

I'm already lowered an inch or so. No idea what springs the previous owner put in, but they aren't oem. Maybe some sort of replacements that are just worn out?

What springs/coilovers would you recommend? Could I just grab 4 teins and be good to go? Or would I need to replace struts, etc? I'm looking to go the cheapest route here. 1.5" drop is the most I can go.
I believe Tein S.Techs and TRD springs drop around 1.5", give or take. As far as replacing struts/shocks go, it all depends. Some people have had theirs blown out at 60K, others are past 150K and still doing fine. There are a lot of factors to take into account, including your driving style, road conditions, how often you drive it, etc. There's no "magic amount" of miles that you should replace your shocks at. However, my rule of thumb when buying a used car is that if it's around or past 100K, I'll prepare to replace the shocks as soon as I get it, unless the previous owner has done so already. Just understand that lowering your car will add more pressure on your stock shocks and you will have to replace them eventually.

Honestly, despite the fact that you want to go with the cheapest route, coilovers are probably your best option, given the fact that its a complete replacement for the suspension and they're also adjustable. You could slam your car in the warm months and then when it starts snowing, raise the car back up to a driveable height until spring comes around. Some of the cheaper coilover options start at $900, which isn't that much more than replacing springs + shocks. I'm on BC coilovers right now and the ride is pretty smooth for a DD, although it doesn't go as low as I want it to. KSports and popular around here and they also go pretty low. Both of those are around $900. I'd advise against Tein unless you get the SS-P, which usually goes for around $1300+; the Tein Basics are meh.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll look into the coilovers, but they are a bit out of my price range. The previous owner changed the struts about 30,000 miles ago according to the dealership. So at least for now, it's staying at this height. For the next few months all I'm going to do are fairly cheap mods. Red out tails, yellow fogs, painting the side skirts, etc.

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
^add BFV removal as well for cheap/free mods. Get a thicker rear sway bar as well
Night and day difference.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^add BFV removal as well for cheap/free mods. Get a thicker rear sway bar as well
Night and day difference.
I'm going to be picking up an injen intake pretty soon. The sway bar is a good idea, but a little unnecessary for me. I am not tracking this car and I am perfectly content with how it handles. Only thing I'm after is a bit more power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts