NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started last saturday, it sounds like when the speakers whines due to a bad ground. It whines at the same idle when I hit the gas. I got a new battery on. What's causing this? A new belt maybe?.

Symptom..(old battery).
Saturday night, Headlight + fog were on. Radio w/ cassette Ipod.
Battery Check light came up, turned off radio and fog, batter check light goes is gone. I check the manual it says battery is discharge or something. And when I turn everything back (Fog light etc..) it come right back.

New battery.
No Battery check light. But still whines.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Try a gator? belt.
If the alternators blown, I'd go ahead and upgrade anyway, especially if you have a speaker system/HIDs

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drewd said:
Try a gator? belt.
If the alternators blown, I'd go ahead and upgrade anyway, especially if you have a speaker system/HIDs
If the alternator is blown. I wouldn't be able to start the car. But is this a sign of a dying alternator?

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
Well, I didn't mean literally blown, but it may be a bad alt. I heard of a similar problem due to the stock belt, people say it sounds like the whine of a supercharger.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drewd said:
Well, I didn't mean literally blown, but it may be a bad alt. I heard of a similar problem due to the stock belt, people say it sounds like the whine of a supercharger.
Lol yea sounds kinda cool. But I wouldn't like to have this sound too long. Mmm I'll try replacing the belt. I have a gator belt around.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,633 Posts
Sounds like the brushes are shot in the alt.

·
Registered
980 Posts
JOHN_B said:
If the alternator is blown. I wouldn't be able to start the car. But is this a sign of a dying alternator?
Not true. You can START a car with a blown alternator, however it will eventually die when the battery drains and no ignition is occuring. If the whining is coming from the alternator and not the belt it could mean what 2way indicated, which is the brushes are worn out. Rust sometimes can do this as well if the car was sitting in storage for a long time but should disappear after running the car for a few days. Personally, I'd get it swapped out or rebuilt if I found the sound too unbearable.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blinding-gts said:
JOHN_B said:
Not true. You can START a car with a blown alternator, however it will eventually die when the battery drains and no ignition is occuring. If the whining is coming from the alternator and not the belt it could mean what 2way indicated, which is the brushes are worn out. Rust sometimes can do this as well if the car was sitting in storage for a long time but should disappear after running the car for a few days. Personally, I'd get it swapped out or rebuilt if I found the sound too unbearable.
The car is still running w/ the new battery on for 3 days now. I'll try putting the new belt in. How much does the alternator go for? used/rebuilt, new.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
dude just leave it, it would sound like a sweet supercharger lol, jk

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TRD_Celica00 said:
dude just leave it, it would sound like a sweet supercharger lol, jk

HAha.. It does attract attention. But it would suck if the car dies on me..

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
At least you've dissected where the noise is coming from. Change it or get a new belt if it doesn't work return it back to the shop you got it from what do you got to loose, "a broken down Celica" ???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just experienced this with my GT-S today.
I noticed a whining noise after leaving for work this morning. For the first few minutes, it sounded kinda cool, like a supercharger. After 10 minutes, I started hearing faint squeaks which soon turned into pings. By the time I got to work, the car was rattling as if my catalytic converter went.
When I checked under the hood, nothing seemed loose or falling off, but I did notice magnetized metal shavings in and around the alternator.
Picking up a new alternator from the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found out it wasn't the alternator. My car has 57K, I looked closer and I'm seeing cracks in the belt. The noise was coming from the engine pulley or crank pulley I duno. But it wasn't the alternator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts