NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed it does not happen all the time, and it seems to only happen when i am in gear and take my foot of the accelerator. I know my drive belt needs changing and i do have some hesitation when moving but apart from that the gearbox is smooth.

What could this be?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,358 Posts
Considering that you say that you need a new drive belt, it may be the belt tensioner. My other thought is maybe the throwout bearing.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,358 Posts
The tensioner is more likely to rattle than grind/grate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could very likely be a bearing in the transmission as well. Dump the fluid and look for glitter. There is a magnet in the case but you can't see or clean it without opening the case. If you don't have a magnetic drain plug I'd recommend one. Then you can see if and how much metal it collects.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If its a manual, c56 5 speeds have a weak output shaft bearing. If its making audible sounds already from the driver's seat, you need to address the problem right away. Gearbox could lock up if the bearing fails.
If its not, then you can check the belt tensioner or for timing chain stretching. But if the problem happens only in gear, its 90% the bearing. (p.s. its not the throw out bearing if you press the clutch and the noise goes away)

I had first hand experience with this, whole thing locked up and i swapped into a 6 speed with lsd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If its a manual, c56 5 speeds have a weak output shaft bearing. If its making audible sounds already from the driver's seat, you need to address the problem right away. Gearbox could lock up if the bearing fails.
If its not, then you can check the belt tensioner or for timing chain stretching. But if the problem happens only in gear, its 90% the bearing. (p.s. its not the throw out bearing if you press the clutch and the noise goes away)

I had first hand experience with this, whole thing locked up and i swapped into a 6 speed with lsd.
Hi it is a 6 speed gen 7

·
Registered
330 Posts
Does it make that grinding sound when the car is running or stationary or both?

If it grinds on deceleration then there may be a bad bearing or a bent axle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts