NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My New Motor *Updated With Pics!*

So, as many of you may know, my 1zz has been burning a lot of oil for the past half a year. Because of this, I have decided to replace it. This is my daily driver, and my only car... because of this the stock motor has racked up about 107k miles. Sooo... it's time for a change. In the intrest of keep this simple, I have decided to stick with the 1zz, so feel free to keep all the "should have gone with a 2zz" comments to yourself; it ain't gonna happen. :gap:

So, I got myself a used '03 1zz from a nc.org member. It has 60k on, 80% of the miles on the car were highway, and the motor had regular oil changes with mobile 1, all in all I'm pretty confident in this motors reliability. The work will be done this friday at East Coast Speed Factory, a shop with a successfull history of 1zz work.

All installed:


ECSF installed a "TRD" (not really TRD) Oil Catch Canister, slightly used MAFS, slightly used K&N Filter, Oil Pressure Sensor Remote locate line and fittings, HotShot Header, Toyota Racing Development Carbon Fiber Engine Cover, Denso Iridium Spark Plugs, Gripforce Stage 1 Clutch Kit, and MWRs Lightweight Chromoly Flywheel, Toga Performance High-Volume Oil Pump, AEM Lightweight Alternator Pulley, Catco High Flow Catalytic Converter, and a slightly used pre-cat o2 sensor.

Needless to say: I can't wait.

I'll do my best to document the process, and you can expect a good amount of pics to be posted this weekend.

Lastly, I really want to thank the many nc.org members who helped me with this project, both with questions answered and advice given.... thanks again for those who helped me the most: Boosted2.0, Blue Bomber, Lormax, Dave Draper, fusi0n, Matt @ MWR and of course Steve @ East Coast Speed.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
did the engine arrive already? the guy who picked it up kept messing around with the vinyl straps so i had to chain it around one side so it wouldn't move. i tried my best though..haha :gap: i hope you enjoy it man..
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by george
how do you know if your car is burning oil? when does this usually do this?
Having an oil pressure gauge is the key. If I hadn't installed one I probably would have spun a bearing long before now. You have to keep a constant watch on the oil level (either via the gauge or regular dipstick checks). If it goes down fairly quickly (mine is roughly 1-2 quarts a week :eek: ), and you're sure it's not leaking (a good visual inspection usually works to check for leaks), then you know it's being burnt. Also, a black sooty buildup around the tailpipe is another tell-tale sign.

Originally posted by fusi0n
did the engine arrive already? the guy who picked it up kept messing around with the vinyl straps so i had to chain it around one side so it wouldn't move. i tried my best though..haha :gap: i hope you enjoy it man..
Hell yeah, arrived today. Everything looks fine according to ECSF. I'll give you a call tomorrow. :thumbup:
Originally posted by oneflyasianguy
my 2000 gt is starting to consume a bit of oil too, how much did this cost you? im either going this route or maybe a rebuild
Rebuild of your '00 engine is kinda pointless, toyota redeigned the 1zz after '03 for better oil distribution so you might as well get a replacement engine that wown't have the same oil burning problem... PM me and we can chat. I got this done fairly cheap for a few reasons.... which is why I could afford soo many goodies! ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
S|Lv3rBu||et said:
Rebuild of your '00 engine is kinda pointless, toyota redeigned the 1zz after '03 for better oil distribution so you might as well get a replacement engine that wown't have the same oil burning problem...
Any idea if this is the case with the 2ZZ? Also, awesome news about your project. I can't wait to see how everything works out. I'm assuming that, eventually, you will be putting some TPR parts in. Maybe some MWR stuff too? Are you planning the PFC maybe?

Lastly, I have to say it, should have gone with the 3ZZ :chuckles:

Keep us updated bro!
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Originally posted by aerospike2002
Any idea if this is the case with the 2ZZ? Also, awesome news about your project. I can't wait to see how everything works out. I'm assuming that, eventually, you will be putting some TPR parts in. Maybe some MWR stuff too? Are you planning the PFC maybe?


Hey! Quit reading my mind like that!! :chuckles:
Yeah, as soon as I can I'll be adding a TPR intake, TPR exhaust, and I might be a guinea pig for some other TPR stuff. Aside from that I do already have a MWR flywheel going in there, and yeah.... once I get the cash together this beast is going to be controlled via either a PFC or E-manage.

Lastly, I have to say it, should have gone with the 3ZZ :chuckles:

Keep us updated bro!
You ba$tard!! :furious:
Maybe because I don't have the deep pockets and killer sponsorships of some other... more fortunate board members. ;)
And rest assured, full updates will be posted as soon as possible.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
S|Lv3rBu||et said:
Hey! Quit reading my mind like that!! :chuckles:
Yeah, as soon as I can I'll be adding a TPR intake, TPR exhaust, and I might be a guinea pig for some other TPR stuff. Aside from that I do already have a MWR flywheel going in there, and yeah.... once I get the cash together this beast is going to be controlled via either a PCF or E-manage.



You ba$tard!! :furious:
Maybe because I don't have the deep pockets and killer sponsorships of some other... more fortunate board members. ;)
And rest assured, full updates will be posted as soon as possible.
BWWAHAHHAHHAHAHA.....you know I was j/p with you. And you should know that there is no way in hell I would ever consider doing the 3ZZ if it wasn't for the sponsorship. I could never afford paying for that thing!

Hey, on a side note...I was realizing how expensive it really would be to convert a 1ZZ to a 3ZZ. Because, ideally, since it's a conversion for the 2ZZ, you would need a 2ZZ engine. Since you would be getting that, you'd also need to get a 6-speed tranny. The price on Trial's website for the 1ZZ to 3ZZ conversion is kind of misleading then.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by aerospike2002
And you should know that there is no way in hell I would ever consider doing the 3ZZ if it wasn't for the sponsorship. I could never afford paying for that thing
Yeah, I figured as much. But hey, more power to ya man! It's gonna be a killer car when this whole thing is said and done!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
my old header looks so cute all next to it's new friends.....:wiggle:


...by the way, I forgot to tell you it has about 4 or 5 small cracks on the welds.. :eek:


































j/kin :gap:
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by TRD2000GTS
congrats on the new engine and i hope the install goes smoothly....very nice parts also...good choices
Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed as far as the install goes too!! Not that I have any reason to doubt the guys at East Coast Speed Factory.... it's still a little nerve-racking. :scared:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,874 Posts
S|Lv3rBu||et said:
Lastly, I really want to thank the many nc.org members who helped me with this project, both with questions answered and advice given.... thanks again for those who helped me the most: Boosted2.0, Blue Bomber, Lormax, Dave Draper, fusi0n, Matt @ MWR and of course Steve @ East Coast Speed.
I helped? What did I do? I don't know much about the 1ZZ in general...all my experience has been with the 2ZZ
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top