NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with Truechoice. Had a good conversation with Jerry over there. Looking at a suspension from there for my 2000 GT-S. If you don't know, Truechoice is the company who made the coilover system for Sport Compact Car's Project Celica. I had looked into both Tein and JIC Magic, but decided against both. Both of those are racing-type suspensions and run pretty extreme valving and spring rates for street use. I didn't want my car to ride any rougher than it already does, so I decided to go with Truechoice, who custom builds Koni shocks. These shocks should give a good balance between ride quality and ultimate performance. SCC's car was only outperformed by the Hotchkis Celica, which had what was considered a "race only" suspension on it. When Truechoice builds your shocks, they match the valving to whatever spring rate you choose.

I was quoted two different setups by them, a Phase I+ and a Phase II+.

Phase I+ is a single adjustable Koni shock with a shortened shock body for lower ride heights. This setup would use Eibach Sportline springs, which of course have non-adjustable ride height. Price on this setup is $1325.

Phase II+ is the exact setup used on the SCC Project Celica. Basically the same as Phase I but fitted with adjustable spring perches. These use Eibach ERS springs, which are the standard coilover spring. The spring rates used on the SCC car were 250 lb/in front and 350 lb/in rear. These are linear rate springs. Price on this setup is $2155.

By comparision, the stock springs are 136 lb/in front and 168 lb/in rear. Tein and JIC use linear 335 lb/in front and 447 lb/in rear springs. This is the main reason I want to stay away from these. Those rates are just massive overkill for the street, and IMO will compromise the usability of the car. Unfortunately, these prices are a bit high comparitively, but this is a custom setup, and not mass produced. Whatever I decide to go with, it should be going within the next month or so.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Sounds nice! I thought tiens were pretty nice for street use? I could be wrong.. I dont have time to keep up anymore but I plan to spend 2k on the suspension as soon as it warms up.

It would be cool if you could keep me (everyone) posted on what you do and your thoughts..

thanks

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Sounds cool man but then again I dunno $2100 is a lot of money for a oilover system I mean the Hotchkis full all out system doesn't even cost that much!!

Justin

·
Registered
863 Posts
i'm looking to spend 1000-1500.. right now i have TRD springs and stock struts.. and strut bars... any idea's?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have the Tein setup, and had it for probably almost 2 yrs now?? With the adjustable dampening, full soft is perfectly fine for daily driving...full hard would cause a headache for daily, but for race use, it's great. Don't know if 2100 is worth it, IMHO. You might wanna try finding someone in your area with the Tein setup, and go for a ride in it

·
Registered
791 Posts
You can order the custom spring rate, but does that include the valving to match that spring rate? (for Tein or JIC)

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From other reviews I have read of Truechoice suspensions, most people switched to them from a racing type shock (Tein, GAB...) after feeling that those suspensions gave completely unacceptable ride quality. The biggest cost involved with these is the cost for shortening the shock bodies. Otherwise they are fairly reasonably priced. I drive my car on the street and ride quality is a big consideration for me, i.e. willing to pay more for it. Adjustable ride height is also not that big of a deal to me. Spring rates, matched valving, and ride quality while getting the best performance is what I'm concerned with.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I emailed Tein about their SS kit, which from what I can tell is more streetable than the HA kit. I asked them about ordering a slightly softer spring rate than is specified (4/6 rather than 5/7 kg/mm). Spending the money isn't the issue for me, its having a suspension that I am happy with. I have heard too many negative reviews of suspensions like Tein, JIC Magic and GAB, so I was sort of shying away from them.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
DopeCelicaGT said:
Sounds cool man but then again I dunno $2100 is a lot of money for a oilover system I mean the Hotchkis full all out system doesn't even cost that much!!

Justin
Hotchkis TVS system lists for $3,599.00 and if you know someone they can get it to you for $2,600.00-$2,800.00. It's the best full tunned kit out on the market in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been getting more and more arguments for the Tein SS. I have been looking into it and it appears that it is way more street-oriented than the Type HA system that I am familiar with.

Hotchkis TVS...completely out of the question. I have no doubt in my mind that it would make for a miserable street car. Like I said I am looking for a high performance STREET car, not a track car.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Doesn't Hotchkis make both a race version AND a STREET version of their suspension kits? Wouldn't the street version be what you are looking for?

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well too late. After taking numerous opinions and price into account, I went with the Tein SS setup. Bottle at Titan Motorsports has it for $1062.50 right now. It should be on my doorstep in about a week :thumbup:

·
Registered
880 Posts
You'll love the Teins, I have the HA's and yeah they are alittle extreme, but you can adjust them for a softer ride... Speaking of that does any one know which way is to soften and stiffen. I've had them for almost a year and never really messed with them.

Your car will feel like it is on rails as long as you have good tires.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you go with the Teins, what are you planning to use to allow for alignment corrections (if anything)? I guess you can always get the Hotchkis pillow blocks and rear camber links, but perhaps you had another idea in mind (like keeping the stock ride height)?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
GT-Skid said:
You'll love the Teins, I have the HA's and yeah they are alittle extreme, but you can adjust them for a softer ride... Speaking of that does any one know which way is to soften and stiffen. I've had them for almost a year and never really messed with them.

Your car will feel like it is on rails as long as you have good tires.
clockwise is stiffest, counterslockwise is softest. When adjusting turn it full clockwise (stiff) till it stops then go backwards to adjust. When going backwards dont go past 16 clicks, it will feel like it can go more, but you will only damage the dampener.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts