NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one can help me where can i find a trans in the are of san diego ca my car wont shift to 3 and 4 gear. my 3 gear grinds and 4 gear wont go in

·
Registered
473 Posts
You should probally first check into how much getting the worn out parts replaced would cost before throwing a whole new tranny in. It sounds like you have bad syncro's and or a bad shifter fork. Do a search on google for "toyota replacement parts" and you should come up with something. Also use the search button on this site to see if someone has made a previous post about the same problems you are having. Sorry to hear the bad news

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in the shop they said that buying all the parts will cost me 1700 just in parts + labor all my syncros are bad and 4 gear is stuck there are all worn

·
Registered
446 Posts
go to a junkyard and get a tranny out of an matrix xrs or vibe gt if you have a gts.

If you have a celica gt get a tranny out of a regular matrix or a ponitac vibe.

I got me a tranny for 600 bucks out of an matrix xrs. it had 28,000 miles. good luck.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
McCoy said:
go to a junkyard and get a tranny out of an matrix xrs or vibe gt if you have a gts.

I got me a tranny for 600 bucks out of an matrix xrs. it had 28,000 miles. good luck.
I knew about those two having our (GT-S) tranny's... although whats the year range that I can search for each Model?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't know the year but I got mine out of a 2003 matrix. I am guessing the matrix should be any year but not to sure about the vibe. I don't have any numbers for junkyards haven't been there in forever. I konw on the matrix tranny you have to a mod to get the shift cable or something so you have to drill and hole and move something but it's no big deal. Look into it a little more first. If you can get the tranny I can get you a decent price to install it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
my 3rd and 4th gear grinds sometimes too when im upshifting or downshifting sometime... is this a future warning of the problem? theyll both go into gear in the second try........ when u say it wont go into 4 gear.. what happen can u put it in if the car is off, then turn it back up what would happen..

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
McCoy said:

that is bad advise!!!

the matrix and Vibe trannies have the selector shaft on the other side of the tranny housing. you WILL have to do some major modifications to the tranny to get it to work in the tranny.

·
Registered
446 Posts
sorry smaay not trying to give anyone bad advise. That's just what I did and my mech made it soud easy but he did put some work into it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts