NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2000 GT. The car has a lot of mods - spoilers, clear corners, ect. The CEL came on so I took it into the Dealer. He said there was P0440 code stored and told me about the CAI(I did not know it was'nt stock). I have been trying to figure out what brand it is. It is not an Injen or AEM although it looks sort of like the PowerHouse only silver. I would like to know what I have. I have a photo but Ican't figure out how to post it with this message. Is the CEL code related to the CAI? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
my CEL comes on because of my AEM intake so yes it could be caused by the intake if thats what your asking...you just gotta get used to it pretty much...i dont know if it is that specific code though

·
Registered
177 Posts
sounds like tha Nakayama (I think thats how you spell it) intake that is sold on Ebay. As I understand its a direct copy of the AEM Cold Air Intake.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
yes, sounds like the Nakamaya, but no you shouldn't "just get used to the CEL"....you should fix whatever is causing it....I have an injen CAI on my car for 2 years now, and never once had a CEL....usually the CEL is caused by improperly hooking up the vacuum lines, or vacuum leaks, or using the wrong sensor power line (when you install the CAI one of the power sensor power lines is no longer used, make sure the correct one is the one that's no longer being used)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Chris25NJ said:
yes, sounds like the Nakamaya, but no you shouldn't "just get used to the CEL"....you should fix whatever is causing it....I have an injen CAI on my car for 2 years now, and never once had a CEL....usually the CEL is caused by improperly hooking up the vacuum lines, or vacuum leaks, or using the wrong sensor power line (when you install the CAI one of the power sensor power lines is no longer used, make sure the correct one is the one that's no longer being used)
:werd:

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,866 Posts
CGts00 said:
the AEM intake is known for causing the CEL
And the eBay CAIs aren't. It may be a PHR CAI. Weren't they 3" in piping diameter? That would definitely give you a CEL by throwing off the airflow speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I looked at the Nakayama and it may be the one - same yellow hoses. So if the CAI caused the CEL, wouldn't it come back on right after it was reset? Should I expect any problems with passing the emissions test here in PA?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,866 Posts
You should pass emissions fine. I passed with flying colors here in NJ. The other thing you can check is the MAFS (little square black plastic piece on the CAI). Get a Qtip and gently wipe the dirt off the wired amber colored bulb (may look coated with black soot), and then inside openings on the bottom. The previous person may have overoiled the air filter, and excess oil may have coated the MAFS, altering its readings.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I also bought a '00 gts about 3 wks ago and on the 7th day I got a cel, found out I had a cai. It was missfiring and not idling very well, I mean stalling at times!. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the MAFS which cost me a 100 ded and also replace the computer and injector as per bulletin. Now 10 days later I get another cel (P0302) but it seems to run ok so far, nothing noticable that I can tell. When I started it and the cel come on it sounded rough! Sounds better now...

I have no idea what kind of cai I have so I took a picture and posted it here
http://www.steindesigns.net/dsc00065.jpg

If you can tell me what make it is it may help correct the problem and not go broke doing it.

Both times the cel come on while/after I put highway miles on it.

Also, who makes a cel reader for the '00 gts? I think it may be to my advantage to get one.

Thanks

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,866 Posts
That's definitely an eBay CAI. Something is definitely wrong in that pic. See the thin hose coming off of the intake manifold, right by the throttle cable? It should've been removed and the hole capped off. It leads to the gold bolt on the lower half of the intake. Remove the hose and the piece it's connected to. Leave the black cylinder shaped piece that's attached to the same point, and its thicker hose. There will probably also be a blue connector left over. That remains unplugged, and should be tied up so it doesn't get caught in any moving parts. Finally, make sure that thick hose coming off the bottom half of the piping goes to the black cylinder shaped piece mounted right below it. That may get rid of the stalling problem.

Also, you might want to attach the small fuse box next to the piping correctly. There's a mount under it, and it should be attached parallel to the direction the pipe is going, not diagonally.

CEL readers cost like $150 and higher. If you've got an Autozone near you, they usually read codes for free.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
u need to do bomber's intake mod

it ook care of my cel from my ebay intake....however i had mine hooked up properly in the firstplace

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thank BB, I bought the car like this and had no idea what brand ok cai this was. Now I know and with your knowledge I will be correcting the problem. If all goes well I will be doing your other mod too.

Yeah, I replied to it because it related to my problem. I thne seen the date of the thread and couldn't remove the reply.

Thansk again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts