NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the results but I know that when it comes to tires results on paper are only 1/2 the storey. So how did the new kumho's compare to the SO4? I know there was some rain, did 1 perform better in the rain/cold then the other? any infro here would be great.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Only ones I know for sure on Kumhos was Fast Mike and Carpenter. Carpenter put on full depth Ecsta V700's for the wet tho.
McCrispin is listed as being on Kumhos, but his Mini was on Hoosiers. The Hoosiers were stronger in the dry, The Kumhos in the wet.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Right now the decision might be based on the tire size you want to run. Not many people are willing to give up a 225/45-15 Monster wide Hoosier for a 205/50-15 not-so-wide Kumho.

If/when Kumho comes out with the same size range as Hoosier, you will probably see a lot of people try them out.

Take a look at all the Kumho drivers in C-Stock...

Scott

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was on 710's. I ran them all day on Tuesday, and ran my street 712's for first run on Wednesday. I put the 710's on for 2nd and 3rd runs. They worked great in the wet.

The 710 works very well. I've been using them since Cendiv Divisionals at the beginning of August. They work well both cold and hot, forward bite is great, you can launch them quite hard. I've not driven the S04 Hoosier yet, but they compare quite well to the S03.

I wish they made a 225. I know I'm giving up some contact patch to the Hoosier.

With two drivers, the tire can get very hot. We measured temps over 200 at Divisionals. The tires continued to work until the very last run, when they started to get greasy. We were spraying water on the fronts, we used a whole garden sprayer bottle.

The tires I used at Nats then went to an ES/ESL MR2 for Thur/Fri. Four drivers used those tires, and took two more trophies.

Carpenter ran 710's on the front, and by third runs on Tuesday had put Ecsta V700's on the rear. He was trying to get more rotation in the car.

·
Registered
389 Posts
First day was pretty even between Hoosier/Kumho710. Second day was all messed up due to rain.
I also was having problems getting rotation on the first day with the 710's.
I am going to change the car alot for upcoming concrete events.
Works great on asphalt like it is though.
FM

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the info, I know the 710's just came back out so maybe no one knows the answer yet but here it goes. Does anyone know how long the 710's stay quick? I've herd the s04's are more consistant and last longer then the s03 did, how do the v710's match up?

I've run the s03 for the past 3 years, and am really looking hard at running the v710's next year, so any input/opinions of the s04 vs the v710 would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
389 Posts
No one has really had a chance to see how the 710 last.
It appears that tires with about 10 runs on them are better than new ones which contradicts Rudy's advice.
100 competitive runs would be nice but I don't know if they are gonna make it that long in regards to compound.
Rubber depth should be there easily for 100 runs.
FM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts