• Fix it and keep it

Votes: 14 82.4%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,

I need some really good advice. Apparentely I just hydro-locked my 2000 GTS a couple of hours ago and the engine is dead (thank you CAI!). The super sad thing about it is that this was my second engine (only 1,200 miles on it!!!). It really sucks!

Now I need to make some decisions and I don't really know what I should do. I just spent $4k in that engine, a new clutch and the labor and now I'm going to have to spend at least $2500 - $3k to get a new engine put on. Do you think that I should just sell it as it is and take the loss? Or should I go ahead and get it fixed again? I owe about $6k in the car loan plus the $4k in my credit card. :(

The car is in great conditions (other than the blown engine, of course). It has a kaminari carbon fiber wing, carbon fiber hood, kaminari body kit, short cluth, 17" rims, and about $1.5k worth of audio equipment (2 rockford amps, a sub, pioneer head, harman-kardon ipod kit), you get the idea. I was searching craigslist today to see how much celicas are selling for and I found many around $8k - $10k with over 80,000 miles on them. Would I be better off selling it with a new rebuilt engine (0 miles)? How much could I get for it without an engine??

I guess I would rather sell it as it is just to avoid the hassle of getting a new engine and the time factor, but I don't know if that would be my best option financially. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

·
Registered
407 Posts
sell me some parts if possible.. like the headlights, hood, kit, pretty much all of it.. just put a price on the parts and email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
if it had 1,200 miles and you live there, why on earth did you get a CAI? I have one... but I live in Long Beach... where it's dry dry dry.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i don tknow how you hydro ocked it and that sucks.. but its the price we pay for upgrades.... fix it KEEP it.... or trade me for my virtually stock red GTS only a little over 40k on it... its an '03.... i think my car plus 2k and you pay shipping :)

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
i would say do what can save you the most money.

Also are you sure the engine was hydrolocked? you would have to have the intake fully submerged and driving like an ******* in a huge puddle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know what, that's what I thought. I read a post like that saying that you needed to have the intake fully submerged in order to hydrolock the engine. But I found out that's not true. The same thing happened to me with the last engine about a year ago. I was driving under the rain and all of the sudden, I lost acceleration power... 30 seconds later, my engine shut-off and sure enough, the engine was gone! I had no idea of what had happened, it was the stock engine with only 72,000 miles on it and I had recently changed the oil. It wasn't overheating or anything. I didn't have money to fix it so I parked it in my garage for almost a year, until last month when I got this new engine and now the exact same thing happened to it! Bad luck and stupidity I guess. I should have changed the cold air intake after the first time. It doesn't rain often here but yesterday was raining all day and I pretty much only drove it about 6 miles. That was enough to do the damage!! Sounds very hard to believe but it's sadly true :(

So my advice to all of you, don't install a CAI unless you don't drive it under rain at all! The little extra power is not worth the risk of blowing your engine. Learn from my experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
damn that sucks! try the insurance idea, might work. otherwise i'd say fix it. you've already spend alot on it already. and hopefully you'll get rid of that CAI.

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
How old are you? Do you have a full time decent paying job? If you do you should just part out and sell the car to try to pay the rest of your loan. Just get a different car.

·
Registered
824 Posts
How old are you? Do you have a full time decent paying job? If you do you should just part out and sell the car to try to pay the rest of your loan. Just get a different car.

thats just stupid, if he pays off the loan he will have to get a bigger loan to get a decent car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts