NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

After finally having the car tuned at MWR, the engine blew 6 days later on my first 3rd gear pull in over 2 years. :eek: :marky:
The engine was still knocking in a LOT of cells when I left MWR. :bang:
One piston is not even circular anymore and the cylinder is done.

I am going to order sleeves and pistons, along with new MWR rod bearings.
Didn't inspect the rods and crank yet, I hope everything is still fine down there. The valves look allright but I'm going to have Many look at everything. :gap:

I think that my head was "shaved" before by previous owner because I was getting 235 PSI of compression in every cylinder.
I currently have the TK.com kit with GT28RS @ 9-10 PSI

I want to know what CR I should get for the Wisecos.
I was looking at the 10.5:1 but since my head gives a little more compression, would it be "safer" to go with 8.8:1 ? What would be the loss?

And I probably plan on boosting a little more with the built block. Something to get close to 300whp. (I dyno'd at 230whp but Matt @ MWR said it was because of the old TK.com exhaust manifold. I will probably order their new cast 4-1 one very soon.)

Let me know what you think would be the best.

Thanks
Max

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Sorry to hear it!

Only 300? Definitely 10.5:1 if you get 93 octane where you are.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used 93 when I was in Michigan, but here we get 94 at the pump but I think the quality is better in the USA.

Didn't have time to inspect valves, rods and crank yet, but I have a spare block with other rods and crank so it shouldn't be a problem.

Right now my plan should be something like:
New 4-1 cast manifold from TK.com (just ordered it) that should be a lot better than my current log type one (picture below)
Darton sleeves
Wiseco pistons (10.5:1 or 8.8:1, not sure yet)
MWR rod bearings (which I already have but they may be damaged)
MWR main bearings (which I already have but they may be damaged)
Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
New spark plugs BKR7E

Do I need a new complete gasket kit? I mean, the engine only ran like 3000 kms.
Might change my valves for the MWR ones while I'm at it but I'm not sure it's worth it, we'll see if there is any damage to my OEM ones first.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I used 93 when I was in Michigan, but here we get 94 at the pump but I think the quality is better in the USA.

Didn't have time to inspect valves, rods and crank yet, but I have a spare block with other rods and crank so it shouldn't be a problem.

Right now my plan should be something like:
New 4-1 cast manifold from TK.com (just ordered it) that should be a lot better than my current log type one (picture below)
Darton sleeves
Wiseco pistons (10.5:1 or 8.8:1, not sure yet)
MWR rod bearings (which I already have but they may be damaged)
MWR main bearings (which I already have but they may be damaged)
Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
New spark plugs BKR7E

Do I need a new complete gasket kit? I mean, the engine only ran like 3000 kms.
Might change my valves for the MWR ones while I'm at it but I'm not sure it's worth it, we'll see if there is any damage to my OEM ones first.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks
MWR valves may need to have the tips machined to get proper clearance.
We always recommend Ferrea for our 2zz builds. They flow better and have no fitment issues.

I'd stick with 10.5:1 weiscos with a 300-350 hp goal

300+ you will need / want return system with an FPR, unless you already have it.

Also plan on going through a transaxle or two at 300-350 hp, depending on your driving style / habbits.

Oh and you may want to examine your exhaust set up and make sure you have a proper 3" exhaust to support the power level.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
actually i would go with the lower compression and and just raise the boost. just my opinion, what i want to know is why were you knocking leaving MWR after tuning.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
actually i would go with the lower compression and and just raise the boost. just my opinion, what i want to know is why were you knocking leaving MWR after tuning.
Yes but you wouldn't be happy with 300 to the tire :fawk:

With 10.5:1 they will get better spool up and better off boost response compared to 8.8:1, and they will be able to attain 300-350 with that CR on pump gas with the disco.

·
Premium Member
4,518 Posts
what i want to know is why were you knocking leaving MWR after tuning.
I've been telling him that since the beginning! And the thing that pisses me of is that we had over 20 hours of street tune on the cruise range and up to 6000 rpm with it being very dialed in(rescaled map, idle, low and high rpm cruising).....and they just tossed that MAP out and went with one of their own. and did a complete tune (apparently) in 3 hours.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and did a complete tune (apparently) in 3 hours.
Some questionable work coming out of MWR as of late.
To be honest I wasn't satisfied at all when I left the place.
First, they didn't allow me to go in the shop during the tuning session, their insurance could not allow it...
Second, Matt was not able to get the lift engaging "smoothly".
Third, he comes in the office and tells me : "Your wastegate line just burned and boost went up but I think I caught it early enough so there is no engine damage" ........
He then spends 1 hour fixing my vacuum lines and letting the car cool down a bit.
Then, the session goes on. After 5 hours total, he comes in the office and says : "I managed to lower lift engagement to 6500 rpm and it feels smooth, you're all set up and good to go!" and he brings me in the shop to show me one last pull.
230whp 190wtq, but "it could've been worst because of the TK.com manifold."

I leave the place. I'm not even on WOT and my check engine light starts flashing!
Getting on the highway, I press the pedal a little in 5th gear, again the god damn knocking light!!! I get the laptop out and put fuel in these god damn poor cells!!! The lower portion of the map (high loads) was completely off. Not a single cell was rich enough.
I spend 3 days adding fuel to the map to finally be able to drive around without knocking everytime I step on the gas.
And then, 6 days later I'm on a little ride with a buddy of mines on my way to Many's to give him a little ride... (haha) FIRST TIME I FLOOR MY 3RD GEAR IN OVER 2 YEARS, my buddy following me texts me and says I need to stop there's white smoke everywhere. (Highest knock registered on that pull was 30.)

Anyways, the future should be brighter... !
I decided to just get the car running properly before raising the boost. I'll get the 10.5:1 Wisecos.
@ 9 PSI I "should" be in the 250-280whp range, depending on how "better" the newer manifold is. I don't think I need a fuel pump upgrade for that range.

And then, sometimes like next year, since the block will be good to go, I would get the FPR and fuel pump to get some higher numbers @ higher boost.

Complete setup would be:
Wisecos 10.5:1
Darton sleeves
MWR main and rod bearings
CircuitWorx oil pump gears in a new OEM pump
New camshafts and rockers from last winter
New plugs
Upgraded TK.com manifold
GT28RS @ 9 PSI
3" exhaust
Southbend TZ clutch with OEM flywheel

Thanks a lot for the inputs! Very appreciated!

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Wow.... we spend about a day (10-12) hours on the dyno and another day street tuning our complete maps. We must be slow or something. :)

Mind you we do charge from $750-1200 for tuning maps like that ;)

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
I've been telling him that since the beginning! And the thing that pisses me of is that we had over 20 hours of street tune on the cruise range and up to 6000 rpm with it being very dialed in(rescaled map, idle, low and high rpm cruising).....and they just tossed that MAP out and went with one of their own. and did a complete tune (apparently) in 3 hours.
In fairness we might have chucked your map too. We do all of our scratch tunes from our own basemaps usually.

But we would have re-done the highway and street tuning before we gave it back. I won't agree to a 3 hour tune on a turbo car either. We do it right or not at all.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Order processed with MWR this morning.
10.5:1 Wiseco pistons
Darton sleeves
255 LPH fuel pump
MWR rod bearings
ARP head stud kit
BKR7E V-Power spark plugs

And I received the exhaust manifold this afternoon! Doesn't look like a BIG improvement from the top view but the bottom view shows a better transition...

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Yeah we just put one on an auto GT for a customer - the new cast manifold from TK is quite nice. The wrinkle coated IC pipes were nice too.

I will refrain from commenting on the rest of the kit.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I personally love the guys at MWR, I think that Matt and Gary do a great job and treat customers with respect. I do have to say since I was there years ago that I feel that their business has switched from working more on Celicas (customeres with less money) to Lotus's (bigger spenders) and this has put us Celica owners on the lower end of the totem pole and possibly made us a little less important. This is just my speculation. The one change that I personally see is when I contact them for a quick chat. There is no time for it and only an email will be answered in a timley mannor. I understand that time is money and if you take phone call questions all day nothing will get done, but when a customer has spent over 15k at your shop I think you can give me 5-10min of your time. My question to you Janelle is why would you go and spend over 1K in parts at MWR after your motor just blew from a supposed careless tune by MWR? If you felt that they didnt really give a F about your tune or car why go back and reorder parts from them? I'm also very interested to see when MWR chimes in here :wiggle:.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts