NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday i found out that my wheels are not in the best condition and i am considering a new set.

My car runs on 17x7.5, ET35 alloys with Eibach pro kit.
The car has TRD sides and rear, with a subtle front lip (rare postert).
In the near future Rotrex will be back on and the car will visit the track once or twice per year. The car is a dd.

Considering the above, I am looking for functional setup without compromising the looks.
With my current wheels I am happy with performance and I would love them to be pushed outwards a little bit more (17x7.5, ET35).

And now the questions, bearing in mind the subtle kit on the car and the 1-1.2" drop (please consider ET35 as a constant to keep things simple):

1. If i decide on 17" wheels, 17x8" is the max I should consider, or can I go up to 17x9" without looking silly and without compromising performance?

2. If i decide on 18" wheels
(i) Will they compromise performance? What width should i consider?
(ii) Will they look weird considering the small drop and the subtle kit?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My top option is Bola B1 18X8.5 ET35.
It is also available in 18x9.5 ET35.

Your thoughts please in terms of performance and looks considering the first post?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I'm sorry that I don't have specific answers for you. But I'm wondering if you can find answers in the stickies of the Tire/Wheel section. There are pages of questions, answers, and people's setups.

The only thing I can note is that lighter at all corners is much better for all things driving.

Good luck!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.

I did go through the stickies but I got no def answer.
The only thread that mildly helped was this but still, i am not sure.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My top option is Bola B1 18X8.5 ET35.
It is also available in 18x9.5 ET35.

Your thoughts please in terms of performance and looks considering the first post?

It really all depends on what looks and performance you're going for. 18" wheels are usually discouraged for performance but are great for filling up the wheel wells for a flush look. 17s are usually what people get who want a happy medium. A 9.5" width will be flush with the fender at +10r and +20ish front.
An 8.5" width will be flush at +5 rear and +25ish front. If you're car is lowered tire size will also play a large part in how your wheels fit in your fenders. I'm not as knowledgable about what performs really well but I do know a lot of the autoX enthusiasts seem to like Enkei RPF1s in 17x8 5x100. If I were you I'd find a set up you like then contact the owner or post a pic in here and we'll see if we can id the set up and specs.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It really all depends on what looks and performance you're going for. 18" wheels are usually discouraged for performance but are great for filling up the wheel wells for a flush look. 17s are usually what people get who want a happy medium. A 9.5" width will be flush with the fender at +10r and +20ish front.
An 8.5" width will be flush at +5 rear and +25ish front. If you're car is lowered tire size will also play a large part in how your wheels fit in your fenders. I'm not as knowledgable about what performs really well but I do know a lot of the autoX enthusiasts seem to like Enkei RPF1s in 17x8 5x100. If I were you I'd find a set up you like then contact the owner or post a pic in here and we'll see if we can id the set up and specs.
Thank you sir. As i see i cannot have everything i guess.
If 18 is no go for performance, then i have to drop it and i ll start thinking on 17x8.

·
Celica Enthusiast
306 Posts
The 2000 GTS donor I purchased had the Tein S lowering springs and KYB shocks with these rims.

They actually cleared by the skin of his teeth without having to roll the fenders.

I drove the car from Miami to Georgia straight, and on I-75 there are some serious bumps, it never bottomed out or hit the fenders. The specs are 225/40ZR18/92W.

Then, I was thinking great, that car is lowered, so it will definitely work on my GT so I no longer have to use spacers and I can have a set for winter and one summer, and clear my brake kit. All sorts of nope.

I tried to install it on my GT in the rear, removed the spacer, lowered the car from the jack, and it got to the ground fine, but if I drove it or hit a bump, bye bye rear fender / sidewall. So I never bothered in the front. And I'm guessing my car is a hell of a lot lower then what the Tein S springs do.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I am still looking for wheels.....

My current favorite pick is Rays Gram Lights 57xtreme 18x8.5 ET42.
The specs are not optimal, but i will save loads importing these in the island rather that "better" ones (1400$ vs 2100$). In addition i am not interested in the hellaflush look.

My questions:
1. Will they fit on KYB GR2 and Eibach Pro kit (1.2" drop)?
2. I prefer a functional setup and not loose the fun while driving.
What is the best option, tirewise, for these wheels, 245/35 or 225/40?
3. Biggest spacers I could use with no rubbing issues? (I am interested in 5mm front and 15mm rear)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After deeper searching i answer some of the questions:
1. They will fit.
2. 225/40 tire will fit. How about 245/35. I got no info about these.
3. Regarding the spacers, i have no idea, i did not find any info.

Anyone?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

Wheels: Rays Gram Lights 57xtreme 18x8.5 ET42
Tires: Continental Premium Contact 6 225/40
Suspension setup: KYB Gr2 with Eibach pro kit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts